A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Culture Shock

I've had a bit of an active social life the past few days. Enough that it has me bemoaning the loss of, let's see, with the cost of tonight's dinner ($65), my share of dinner last Thursday ($70), Saturday's dinner ($30), I feel especially compelled to retreat back to my hermetic lifestyle, if for nothing more than to save money!
Earlier this year I placed myself on a budget that until recently, was serving my goal of regaining some of the losses made in my 401k and other market funds. Then poof!, my friends started rescuing me from the constant distraction of the unpleasant events unfolding in Boise and my budgeting resolve went into hiding.
I can't lie and say I'm not glad to have the distractions, but I'd sure like that $$ that has been spent *sigh*.
I've been Twittering so much I've started blogging in the same 140 character style. That's wild!
Anyway, getting to the title of the post: I've been helping with interviews for my Dept and I am absolutely appalled with the outfits some of these candidates have worn to the interview. The last time I saw so many breasts and cleavage on display was when I was flipping through the lingerie section of a magazine!
These ppl have shown up in short sleeved tee shirts sporting cleavage a Playboy bunny should wear! Tight jeans and heels, shirts with slogans printed on them, jeweled flipflops! One applicant who seemed to be my age wore slacks, purple shirt and coordinating purple tie. We hired him just because of how professional he looked! Another lady wore grey leggings that fit like a layer of frosting on a pudding cake. And the leggings were split in the back when she got up. Her oversized shirt hid the tear while she was standing but when getting up it was plainly seen. Shaking my head folks. Shaking my head.
I know our work culture has changed. Business casual has been replaced with "anything but pajamas" at some places, and these people were carrying that message loud and clear. We carried our message too, we didn't hire most of them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Oh Geez, Debo -brings back memories of my days as asst. manager at a truck stop restaurant and some of the job applicants, the way they looked and the way the filled out applications too -unbelieveable! Totally! Applying for a job where you will be working with food, serving it to other people and looking so grubby really makes one question the IQ levels of many of these folks for sure. I know -different arena from your type of work but still the same principles involved here, overall.

August 25, 2009 12:29 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Sex sells... that is why they do it. I have had to also do the interview process and I think the one that stands out the most in my mind was a preg woman came in to apply for a secretary job only she was dressed like she was a street walked! And she was so visible pregnant. What made that worse (I was interviewing with my boss) was that my boss hired her. He and I had words about it and he said he wanted me to coach her on how to dress conservative. Like that worked. I ended up quitting that job before she had her baby!

August 26, 2009 2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home