A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, August 07, 2009

Let's Hear It For The Girl!

Congratulations to both Justice Sotomayor and the Senate Committee which approved the appointment for Sotomayor's step into history! I hope she's an asset to our country by basing her decisions on what is right, rather than what is popular or expected.

I'm a conservative when it comes to crime and punishment. I believe judgements should be handed out fairly. One population, whether it be defined by race, sex or citizenship should not suffer harsher sentences than another. If two defendant's' cases are the same, both should receive equal punishment. Jamal Wallace should be held to the same punishment as Emilio Martinez. Jessica Smith, if her crime was equal to Agatha Schwartz should receive the same punishment.

I support the death penalty. If someone is malicious enough to slaughter whole families, rob and kill the weak or elderly, kill or severely abuse children, they should be hooked up to the nearest electrical outlet and the switch flipped. They should be placed over a huge vat filled with scalding hot Crisco and dipped repeatedly for each bullet, each stab, each injury they inflicted upon their victim. A Death Row sentence should be for 90-days, then death. None of these life sentences where you sit in a cell all day watching cable tv, having your catered meals delivered to you.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a rant there, didn't I? And this post was supposed to be cheery and fun. Okay, I'll end it on a cheerful note. Congrats to Justice Sotomayor. I wish I had cable and could watch the swearing in ceremony. I know her family's heart must be full right now. All the worry and tension during the meetings, the reviews of her past are all over. Now upwards and onwards!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I watched a piece on the Honorable Sotomayor the other afternoon (or rather peeped at it through visits to the bathroom) and I would imagine that this is not the first round of crap (nor will it be the last testy race issue) she has faced to get a job. I am pleased as punch to see another woman breech the "all males club" glass ceiling and sit a bench of power. Am I just being all righteous Babe or what! LOL.

As far as the current justice system. I don't believe that the Supreme Court has the jurisdiction to cover jail terms (in relation to the length of stay of death row inmates). However I do support your thought on that 110% and may hap could add a few ideas of torture given a minute.

Having worked in a "close" security prison (which is one step down from a max)I would fantasize on a regular basis that one of the dorms that housed more then a 70% population of sex offenders would be struck by a tornado!

Life in that prison was more like, they got TV privileges from 4:30pm until lights out at 11:00pm with the exceptions of the weekends. The TV was in a central location and the most watched program was WE TV. The only convicts with special privileges were the mental health (which I ran that dorm) and they were allowed to have an X box and two TV's. Mental Health stayed in from jobs (other population we put to work all day) and had a private yard for yard call.

No convicts had access to weights (which you see in a lot of shows) nor to education other than getting a GED and they were only allowed that IF they attended regular and did not cause a problem for the teachers.

August 07, 2009 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Debo Blue said...

Dr.Jenn-I'm glad my post didn't make me seem evil. I never knew you worked in a prison. We're gonna have to talk!

August 07, 2009 10:42 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I used to be totally pro death penalty. Then, I started to think a bit more about that aspect and crimes that had people convicted based on circumstantial evidence, or no dna, etc., etc., and now, I kind of waffle a bit on the death penalty. I don't like the idea of all the appeals and appeals and more appeals, that take up years and years. I'd much rather see people sentenced to a life sentence but with no frills attached to it, especially in cases of major atrocities. In my heart, I may want to see some of those people dead and buried but yet... Well, you get the picture. Why is it though the ones who do manage to get all the appeals and such, often are the ones who least deserve that much consideration in the first place? That's the issue I'd really like to see taken out of the picture so as to develop a stronger conclusion then overall. Probably makes no sense, I suppose, but then again, does what started the issue and the necessity for the punishment ever make sense either? Didn't think so.

August 10, 2009 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home