A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, August 03, 2009

With Apologies To Julia Child

I've been trying to become a better cook. I've become a regular reader of cooking mags and websites in hopes of finding quick ingredient-lite dishes that can be made to bring envy to my co-workers and family members alike. I envision myself strolling into the on site cafeteria and proudly opening my freshly heated Ziploc containers that hold exotic, camera-ready dishes that stir the emotions of everyone in the surrounding area. There I sit, completely unaware of the salivating, lascivious stares my dishes receive while I gently bite into whatever it is I've cooked.

Thanks to following a couple of recipe sites on Twitter, I receive recipes of every type of food daily which saves me from culling endless sites. These sites highlight from ten to thirty recipes of everything from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to full blown lobster bakes.

Like most cooks, I substitute for ingredients I don't readily have available like onion, basil, rosemary, thyme, heavy cream etc. I'm sure those things will help make a dish better but hey, can't be that important can it? I mean, if it were really important to add basil why would it ask for such a small amount? I won't miss the flavour of 1tsp of basil will I?

Needless to say, I have had great success with some recipes, while there are others the alley cats are still angry with me about. But if you're an alley cat you should be glad you're getting anything that's not still attached to a tail right?

Today I'm trying a new recipe and I have most of the suggested ingredients. It's an Indian dish with curry, tumeric and the usual suspects (celery, onion, carrot, salt & pepper). I'm not sure, but I don't think this is going to be one of the successful recipes. It may have something to do with adding too much tumeric. I didn't know the bottle didn't have a shaker top so I opened the top and poured it in. I was able to get most of it out (I hope that yellow colour comes out of my new dishrag) so it shouldn't be that bad. Another thing is it's been in the crock pot since 11:30 this morning and the potatoes are still tough. I'll give it another couple of hours and see if the potatoes soften (fingers crossed).

I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I laughed -out loud -when I read about the Tumeric and not being in a shaker bottle! I had a similar thing happen to me a while back. I was making an apple pie -fresh apples too, not the canned filling -and went to shake some cinnamon over the filling. I grabbed the bottle, opened and went to shake and poof -red powder everywhere, all over my lovely apple filling. Seems the cap on the paprika bottle and the cap on the Cinnamon bottle were both the same color and yes, my pie had a nice big film of paprika instead of cinnamon on it.

Believe it or not though, the pie actually tasted okay. Yeah, would have been better with cinnamon -and in the right portions too, not a heavy coating like I got with the paprika but it was edible and everyone liked it. Mandy says it was still way better than the time I made pumpkin pike for Thanksgiving and forgot to add the sugar to the pumpkin filling. Now that was yucky!

Here's an interesting site I found recently -this guy has a blog by this name and you can have him e-mail his daily post to you. He usually posts a new recipe per day although every now and again he just talks about other things cooking related. Anyway, the blog name is Macheesmo. Here's his e-mail addy if you want to sign up for his site. Some stuff is a little out there, but much of it is within reason. nick@macheesmo.com

Check out the blog -Macheesmo.com -and then if you like it, try the e-mail recipes daily from him to add to the mix.

August 03, 2009 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Debo Blue said...

Thanks for the info Jeni!

Can't say that I've ever had an apple pie w/paprika.

I think my stuff will b ok. I'm just surprised it's taking the potatoes so long to soften.

August 03, 2009 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home