A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Sunday, January 04, 2009

What I Know For Sure #1


Hi everyone! Back home in rainy Phoenix, AZ. We drove in yesterday at around 7:15am and I can honestly say I have NEVER been on a trip as scary as this was. We had to drive through some of the scariest, dangerous weather that I could never imagine I'd ever experience! Those dreamy visions of snow falling benevolently over the earth and covering everything in a pristine, clean whiteness has been replaced with the reality that snow can fall in turrets substantially strong enough to reduce visibility to less than three feet, and can confuse even the strongest traveler and cause people to be lost and not found for days, weeks and even months.

The blame of what happened is twofold: us for not leaving until after noon which would cause us to travel through Ely and Twin Falls-areas that see very active weather at all times; and Weather.com for not telling us to expect snow. We had checked the weather report Thursday night and it told us to expect rain in Twin and showers through Jackpot and Ely, no big right?

When we arrived in Twin we did indeed find rain. Jackpot was clear but cloudy and the few flurries we encountered after leaving Jackpot were no cause for worry because we expected no additional inclement weather. I guess you can liken it to the Falcons assuming the Cardinals' defense would be something they could easily conquer (shout out to all my Cardinals fans).

Further down US93 the snow finally hit and gradually became harder and the roads icier. By the time we got to Ely we were in a full-fledged snowstorm and had to make the decision to either drive and go forward or stay put until the weather cleared.

Now normally, when we get to Ely we take a shortcut through US318, a back woods path that shaves about two hours off of travel. There are small towns along the way but nothing that can be found on 93 if we needed the services. Besides, when we pulled out of Ely, 318 was so dark and scary looking we decided to take 93 hoping and praying we would quickly come through the storm. That didn't happen.

As we continued on the way the snow just kept coming. Large wind gusts kept visibility at short distances, the snow so thick and hard driving that using our bright lights diminished the already severely reduced visibility. Aside from one other solitary car traveling southbound, we never encountered a snow plow, large truck or highway patrol. Common sense should have told four responsible adults to turn around and go back to the nearest town and stay put, but, I wasn't the one running the show and my vote, just like my vote for President, didn't pull any weight so onward bound we went.

The snowfall cleared, only to be replaced by small cone-shaped ice pellets. This, my niece Shauna declared sadly, was an ice storm. Our little foray which had started out with cloudy skies and changed to light rain to snow flurries to snow storms had now turned to ice. This time we did pull over because my brother feared the windshield was going to be split open by the force of the ice hitting us. Of course. As long as it were our lives my brother wasn't concerned but when it came to hurting his precious little truck he was more than ready to seek safety. Ain't that a bit**?

Finally the lower elevation brought just rain and clear highway and we rolled on into Vegas a lot wiser, very tired and glad to be closer to home!

So, what do I know for sure? That Grace still abounds for fools and children, and that I will Never! Ever! drive to Boise during the winter months.

Here are some pix I took on the way up to Boise.






This is a storm that we successfully outran.


Here I was channeling Ansel Adams. Oh to have his talent!


12 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I can definitely relate to how scary it can be driving through a snow or ice storm! Yep, been there, had to do it on many occasions around these hills. Thankfully, I rarely have to go out now if the roads are trashy and believe you me, I am very thankful for that blessing that comes with retirement.

But boy, considering what conditions you and your family encountered, I am really, REALLY very relieved that you made it back home, safe and sound!

Now, are you still considering moving to Boise? Just wondering there.

January 05, 2009 4:57 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Glad that you made it safely despite the dangerous conditions. It could have turned out a lot worse had you encountered car trouble or slid off the road.

It kind of makes us glad that we live in Phoenix doesn't it? Accept during the summer of course ;-)

Godspeed Debo and I hope the New Year is good to you.

Peace!
Keith

January 05, 2009 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeni-you Northern dwellers would probably have considered that weather baby stuff:-) And yes, I still plan on moving up there. This visit really was motivational and just felt right.

Keith-I do like our weather better than snow and like people always told me "It's fine as long as you don't have to get out there in it!" Now I'm a believer!

January 05, 2009 9:43 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I hate driving in bad weather and your trip sounds beyond scary!!

Glad you're safe!!

January 05, 2009 5:25 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Duh! I wanted to say - your photos are beautiful :)

January 05, 2009 5:25 PM  
Blogger Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Hey, even us northerners can get surprised by snow. Especially if it's unplanned for and drifting.

Ask me about the year I was delivering pizzas on SuperBowl Sunday with a snowstorm a-blasting sometime...

Ugh.

Glad you're safe.

January 05, 2009 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dianne-thanks for the comment on the pix. I wish I had taken classes and had the right equipment.

Pos-that sounds like something I'd EVER like to do. There would be a lot of people complaining that day if they depended on me to deliver in a snowstorm:-)

January 05, 2009 6:26 PM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Don't kid yourself - ice isn't baby stuff! 1/4 inch is enough to cause major havoc on the roads. Glad to hear you made it safely.

January 05, 2009 11:33 PM  
Blogger One Man’s Opinion said...

I'm not going to comment on the post above. I'm just going to thank you for the song on my post. God bless.

January 07, 2009 10:27 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Ah, but you are allowing comments on this post.

You've made me cry, for the forth or fifth time this week.

Yes I know that I know; but, damn it, let me know if you need to talk, write, vent, pick your word.

Given my recent loss, you and everyone else has been here for me, I INSIST you allow us to be here for you.

January 07, 2009 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OneMan-it's on the CD by Bishop Merritt, you can also find it on Rhapsody. It's called "Cover Me".

Dave-ah yes, you're smarter than I.

January 07, 2009 4:40 PM  
Blogger LadyLolaBelle said...

Hey Ruby, I have to make this qick, Mariyah just woke up and she is hungry, but I just want to say I read your post and I love the way you write those awards you got from yours friends are so appropriate, when I grow up I want to write just like you, and oh yeah if you had of said lets stop you know Tim would have stopped slapped Mona and I would have been rolling but so excited to not be riding in all that snow lol! I love you and I am so happy to hear that you are progressing emotionally for the better, and am so Jealous I wasn't at the park with you and the horrible's, Ahh I miss Phoenix weather this time of year, Vegas is wack it's cold as Idaho over here, it's pretty and there's sun but it is nipply, anywho I gotta run but here's a comment finally, I am guilty of reading and running, k love you and goodbye, ttyl!

January 27, 2009 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home