A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

All The Leaves Are Brown....


...and the sky is gray. I went for a walk on a winter's day. While the skies are more cloudy than gray it's another beautiful day in Boise. Yesterday a bunch of us crowded into my brother's truck and went looking at homes and townhomes. We started about 12 noon and finally finished up at 5:15.

I'm looking for a single story with about 3 bedrooms, 2 bath and not too much yard to maintain. My ideal is a single storied townhome or condo but the properties we looked at yesterday were all two or three storied. I'm also looking for a central location close to my brother's church and the rest of the fam that's here although they're pretty much spread throughout the city.

I didn't know home shopping could take so much out of you. By the time we got to the last property most of the gang stayed in the truck, they were so tired of looking and getting out and trudging around properties. I saw some great properties but I'm keeping a cool head and want to start with something small-a starter house if you will, then work myself up but WARNING: SELF PITY COMMENT AHEAD! why should I look for anything bigger than a basic house when no one will be there but me and my soon to come eight cats? Yesterday I could imagine couples looking at those properties and contemplating where their children's rooms would be and all I could see was where my library would be. Okay, the moment has passed.

Yesterday, after all the looking around I went to a pawn shop. I've never been to a pawn shop before and it was nothing like what I've seen in movies or TV. This place had clothes, movies, electronics etc but the salespeople were not behind little cages. They were walking around like normal employees. AND the jewelry wasn't as cheaply priced as I thought they would be.

I want a tennis bracelet but don't want to pay full price so my brother suggested looking in pawn shops so that's what we did. We actually went to two pawn shops and I bought some DVDs at $3 each but like I mentioned earlier, the prices on the jewelry were higher than I imagined. Anyway, the tennis bracelet's just something I 'd like but don't need. As a truth, I don't wear rings or bracelets because my hands don't match my big body. WARNING: 2nd PITIFUL COMMENT COMING! Have you ever seen pictures of the circus Fat Lady and all the rings she stuffs on her short little fat fingers? Or the tiny bracelets so small on her wrists they threaten to cut her circulation? Well, I see my hands looking like that when I wear rings and bracelets so I don't wear it. I thought all the pitifulness was gone, sorry. Maybe because of the headache I'm feeling all pitiful.

I treated everyone to dinner for coming with me house-looking then we went to my little brother's hotel and vegged for a few hours then headed to my big brother's house where I promptly fell asleep.

This morning I awoke w/a killer headache. Hoping it would go away if I just relaxed didn't work so I popped some aspirin, cooked chopped turkey, eggs and cheese with a liberal heaping of cayenne pepper, put the coffee on and here I am looking out the window at the brown leaves and rapidly diminishing snow listening to iTunes.

Enjoy your day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Smalltown RN said...

OH house hunting....it can be very tiring...trying to remember what you liked about one over the other...colours, layouts, how many rooms etc....you have the right idea...get out there and look...there are a lot of properties on the market...and your special home will soon show up....

I have read on many blogs these past couple of days about people and headaches....I wonder if it has anything to do with the after Christmas rush and finally your brain being able to relax a bit...don't know...just a thought....

Breakfast sounded yummy....hope you have a fantastic day!!! And enjoy those iTunes!

December 30, 2008 11:20 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Along with the shared stomach bug that the kids, son-in-law and I had last week (lasts about a day), I've also had the pleasure (yeah, right) of having a stiff neck issue for over three weeks now. Ben-Gay, Icy Hot, Epsom Salts baths, hot showers and a heating pad all have been used frequently and nothing seems to phase it! ARRGH!
Now the house-hunting thing, I've never really had to do that mainly because this house was bequeathed to me many years ago and I have no desire to leave it -except some days when the kids have done an exceptional job of trashing the place. Although we sure could use a much bigger place -no two ways about that -but getting rid of some of the junk might free up some needed space too. Hmmm -there's a thought. But boy, there are times when I think how nice it would be to have a small place, just me, with a specific room to designate as a library and for me, I'd want another room in which I could store all my fabrics, yarns, craft stuff along with my sewing machine, a comfy chair, good lighting, tv set and stereo set-up to be able to play in the background as I play with my sewing/knitting/crochet/embroidery craft stuff. Such rooms will definitely be added on to this house just as soon as my check comes from having one a super lottery. There you have it -my ultimate dream for the new year!
Have a happy one, Debo!

December 30, 2008 11:29 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Thanks Smalltown. Headache's gone, on my way to BestBuy to look for a scanner.

Jeni-pay the step-granddaughter a few bucks to massage that neck. You should also try sleeping on a different side of the bed. Just another remedy.

December 30, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

I hope you find just the right place that meets your needs AND feels like a home. Something where you don't have to do the shoveling is probably a good idea. (I lived in New England, and shoveling was my least favorite thing.)

December 30, 2008 7:06 PM  
Blogger uglyblackjohn said...

It's good time to get a house. Just be smart and get an inspection.

December 30, 2008 7:49 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Fermi-the good thing about Boise is there's usually not much snow so hopefully, with global warming, it will be minimum (just joking).

UBJ-I'm gonna do it by the book. I have a friend in Phoenix whose firm handles homeowner disputes and she's giving me all the things to do to prevent me from getting messed up.

December 30, 2008 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home