A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

If I Were A Good Friend


I've been hearing about all the bad weather you all in the South and East and Midwest have been experiencing these past few days and I want you to know I'm truly sorry about that.

If I were a good friend I would not tell you that our weather has been CRAZY SICK! Or, simply the best God's sent so far this year.

If I were a good friend I wouldn't tell you that last weekend I took two year old Ma and her eight year old brother Mooka to one of our city parks with manmade lakes and sand dunes. I wouldn't tell you that the kids and I walked around the lake enjoying the bright sunlight and slight breezes that tickled our faces and captured our laughs.

I wouldn't tell you that we enjoyed a semi picnic of sliced turkey w/mayo and cheese on white bread accompanied by chips, cookies and cool water.

If I were a good friend I wouldn't tell you that I had bought day old bread to feed the multitude of ducks and geese who migrated to the lakes or were put there by the city. If I did tell you about feeding the ducks I'd have to tell you that we were almost put upon by two gangsta geese that wanted to steal the kids' sandwiches. I had to forcibly chase them away to prevent them from bullying little Ma. But I'm not telling you all that.

See, if I were a good friend I wouldn't tell you that after walking around the lake and after the picnic I took the kids to the playground and let them run and play with about 700 other children also out enjoying the wonderful weather.

And you'd never hear from me that we sat and ate ice cream and snow cones bought from the waiting ice cream truck, and that as the sky turned from blue to orange to pink to purple, we slowly made our way back to the car and came home, tossing the remaining bread to ducks as they settled under trees and tables awaiting the night.

Most of you would really laugh at me if I told you that on Sunday after the Cardinals win over the Eagles, I washed three loads of laundry and hung them out on the clothes line and everything dried by sundown.

So because I'm not a good friend I'll tell you that we're having some awesome weather as you all are living in a freezer box. I'll tell you that I was THIS CLOSE to blowing my car's AC this afternoon leaving work to drive across town to a meeting.

Yes I know, what goes around comes around and I know some of you, when it's 117 and 120 here for three months straight will snicker at my plight and high energy bills. But for now, here's to you my cold shivering blogger friends. Where ever you are:-)

Here are pictures of last Saturday's outing:






11 Comments:

Blogger uglyblackjohn said...

That's why I like the Rose Bowl.
Cali. always looks great while the rest of the country freezes.

January 21, 2009 9:44 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Hate me while I finish off this iced tea. Did I mention we had dinner at an outdoor cafe tonight in sleeveless outfits? Oooh, I'm so not a good friend (snicker).

January 21, 2009 10:24 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Actually, I'm really glad you aren't a "good friend" and that you posted this along with the photos of your day at the park, etc. It kind of helped to make me feel warmer this morning -a virtual warmth ya know!
We're having a heat wave of sorts right now -highs in the low 20s. But that's better by far and away than a high of -1 isn't it?

January 22, 2009 3:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ya, it may be cold here, But when the aliens break out of area 51 and go on a feeding frenzy, we will have time to set up a defensive line and drive them back to the caves under Las Vegas.

I think you had a wonderful day,

Later Y'all.

January 22, 2009 4:59 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

But I like my leather jacket and I only get to wear it a couple of weeks a year.

January 22, 2009 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeni-something else to virtual warm you...I slept w/my window open all night!

Melon-Honey, maybe you're taking too much of that medication. I'm worried about you.

Dave-you're right. I've worn none of my pretty sweaters and jackets that I wore to Boise.

January 22, 2009 8:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure glad you didn't share all that lovely weather with us. It might have made me envious. Yesterday it was a tiny bit above freezing and I went out to catch a bit of fresh air. The 8 foot icicle on my garage fell off due to the thaw. It was as thick around as my thigh.
I correspond with Bloggers who live in Australia. I envy them even more! So it's ok for you to gloat.

January 23, 2009 7:40 AM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

That's OK. We'll talk about this again in August.

Go Cards!

January 23, 2009 2:16 PM  
Blogger Citizen Ojo said...

That really hurt!!! Well not really but I'm telling you so you can feel bad...

January 24, 2009 7:22 PM  
Blogger fermicat said...

We have four seasons here, and the bad one is the shortest! I'll take it.

My sister in southern Cal tells me about her perfect weather all the time.

January 27, 2009 6:37 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

if I were a good friend I wouldn't be jealous! :)

happy photos

January 28, 2009 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home