A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This & That Thursday


No, I'm not trying to be overly clever. Thought the post's title is catchy and I'm sure this theme is already out there somewhere. Pretty much have nothing to post about the odds and ends of ideas and thoughts currently running through my drug-addled mind.

I worked out more than usual yesterday and my poor back muscles are reprimanding me for my over zealousness (is that a word?). So I've popped a muscle relaxer and painkiller about two hours ago and now beginning to feel some relief. Usually this cocktail drops me right on the old keister but so far not even drowsiness. Maybe it's safe to take at work-dunno.

I read the article that exercise may not help with weight reduction. Ha! Ha! I don't know about all that. What I do know for sure is that NOT exercising makes me feel lethargic and slow.

One of my peers bought me the first season of "Arrested Development" for my birthday. I ordered seasons 2 & 3 on Amazon and got my family hooked on AD too. We're at the last episode of the show and it's sort of sad to know that great show with the most creative writing teams only lasted three seasons. Awesome.

Mrs. Eunice Shriver died yesterday. She made it to 88 years, bless her heart. In college I was tasked to writing about the Kennedy Administration and being the little rule-breaker that I can sometimes be, I wrote about Mrs. Shriver and Mrs. Marion Wright-Edelman and their strengths on individually bringing change to the country and even the world. Mrs. Wright-Edelman has a new book out that I'm going to order. It will be great reading for the upcoming trip to Vegas.

This has been a summer of loss hasn't it? So many people, both celebrity and personal have chosen this summer to leave us. This constant parade of deaths may be remembered as the Loss Summer.

On a happier note-the one note everyone can sing-my sister n law took a few pictures of Mooka on his first day of school. He's nine now and didn't want to pose for the pictures. Then he badgered his mother into dropping him off at the end of the block instead of the drop off place. You hold on to kids' hands so long, then you feel them slowly letting go of your hand. They don't know now how blessed they are knowing that you're right behind them in case they start to fall. Sometimes even us big kids don't realize there are people right behind us ready to reach out and grab our hands if we start to fall.

Aren't we the lucky ones?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Keep plugging away with the exercise, Debo. Actually, if you do a little more than usual, you can do it in my name and then let me know about the exercise you did for me. I'm thinking though that the exercise may be having therapeutic affects on your muscles as they tone up a bit, then you don't get as much of the pain afterward thus, eventually eliminating or at least slowing the need for the pain killer stuff later. Does that make sense? I'm comparing it to all the exercises I had to do during physical therapy six years ago this summer when my back went "out" on me and as time went on, the exercises were less painful and so was the constant achy of my back too!
Loved your ending to this post-especially about adults having people around, behind us, beside us, ready to lend a hand if they see us falter or fall.
Have a great day!

August 12, 2009 5:52 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Touched by this post.

August 14, 2009 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home