A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, August 10, 2009

School School The Golden Rule

Tonight, due to no fault of my own, I had to take Mooka (nephew #4) school shopping because the clothes his mother had bought for school had already been worn and he wanted newer things because it's the first day of school.

There are a lot of things I don't like to do. Shopping of any kind is at the top of this list. Clothes shopping is the worst. I am a cranky, fussy cactus when I have to shop. Being forced to shop just makes me so mad I think I could punch a baby if given a chance! This is the mood I was in tonight at 5pm when my brother asked if I would take Mooka shopping.

I won't explain the circumstances of why it was me and not his two parents to take him shopping, I remember how important it is to most children that they have new clothes and shoes that first day of school. For that reason I was not going to allow Mooka to have a bad first day of school so off we went to find him school clothes.


The first store we stopped at was Ross'. I've not shopped at Ross' except during Christmastime because of the different items I can find for cheap office gifts. I can honestly say I felt this store was two steps below Walrut and about one step above a Goodwill or Salvation Army store. There were clothes strewn about, empty and disorganized racks. This store's message was we're as sorry to see you come in as you'll be after spending time here. Really.

We found socks, a few tees and a pair of shorts for Mooka. With those bought, we headed to Kohl's.

This is the second time I've been to a Kohl's and it wasn't bad, Reminds me of a scaled down Target but with a better jewelry selection. Most of West Phoenix must frequent this particular Kohl's because by the time we got there (a little after 7) there were lots of kids streaming through the shoe and children's sections. Here we found Mooka two pairs of Skechers, some cool tees and more pants.

Next, the last place any sane person wants to be right before the first day of school was Walrut because Mooka needed some notebooks, pencils and markers. So, we descended into Walrut and along with several gazillion parents and children, tried to find afore-mentioned items. As I shopped there amongst those screaming, squalling youngsters eagerly reaching for notebooks and other school stuffs I wondered why they weren't already home in bed. By now it was close to 8:30! Why have these kids out so late when school starts tomorrow?


I couldn't do anything but shake my head because this is what happens when you wait to the last minute to buy things. And of course as I looked at the new notebooks and green pencils Mooka happily poured into the cart, I remembered how excited we kids would get buying our new school supplies.

I remember how all of our new things were laid out for the next morning-that first day of school. We girls would have had our hair done the night before so that morning all we had to do was wash our faces, brush our teeth, eat cereal and head off skipping all the whole block away to school.

Children should look forward to the first day of school, they don't know any better:-) And I didn't want Mooka to be embarrassed by not having something new the first day or week because I remember how important it was to me. And I'm glad I was able to buy the things he needed and the few things I wanted him to have. It wasn't that long ago that I was buying school supplies for eight nieces and nephews, now I'm down to one. So to be honest, I suppose I was really just glad for the opportunity to continue a tradition that began almost twenty-three years ago.

Happy school year to our students all over the world!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

You - a "Cranky, fussy cactus?" That can't possibly be true! Me, yes -you, no!
Mandy and Kate (the 17-year-old) are off this morning -left the house shortly after 8 a.m. to go school shopping. Insanity reigns supreme there is my take on that. My son was here for a cup of coffee with Momma and I mentioned to him I don't recall school shopping as being a big event when he and his sisters were still in school. Probably because I never had a chunk of cash to go shopping with so I picked up stuff throughout the year when I found things on sale at really, really good prices. And then, I bought stuff in sizes larger than the kids were wearing to stash back for Christmas, birthday or school starting I suppose. That's just the way I operated back then. Still am not big on the shopping thing. Maybe because I had more than enough of it raising those three yahoos of my own. Today, the bulk of whatever shopping I do tends to be online and then it tends to learn towards my favorite craft store (Herrchnerrs) or Barnes and Noble.
Have a great day Debo and I do hope your shopping with Mooka starts him off on a good foot with the new school year.

August 10, 2009 7:53 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Molly started back last week. She had new clothes. However the shoes and the school supplies had to wait until this weekend! I didn't really realize how important "The WHOLE kabam" was until she was parading around the house last night in her new shoes and "picking" out outfits.

Glad your taking care of your nephews "needs" in this area, it is so important that the are interested in being at school.

*for the record* Saturday was my first trip to both the stores you mentioned. I really liked Kohl's (here at least), their stuff was as nice as Dillard's and Macy's.

August 10, 2009 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home