A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, March 05, 2010

RB & Me


Had dinner tonight with RB. We went to my favourite hangout Switch which was unusually busier than normal for a Friday night, but we were seated right away and didn't wait long for our ordered food to arrive.

We were celebrating RB's landing a new job after being laid off for almost a year. Last year my company laid off, or re engineered a whole lot of people. I don't know the exact amount but it was close to fifteen thousand. RB was one of those let go. We've remained in contact with each other throughout the year and it's such a blessing to see him relieved and happy about being employed full time.

After his nine month severance ended, he was blessed to land a position in a call center and he pretty much hated it. But he endured it because it paid benefits and allowed him to be flexible. He didn't complain about treatment from his bosses. He wouldn't anyway, but he just didn't like being on the phone. As a former manager, he knew that in order to move up, he would have to impress his bosses in the center and the easiest way to do that would be his attitude, attendance and performance.

The relief in his face tonight was reflected in mine because I had to deal with my friend losing his job (we held the same position) and the ensuing guilt of not being laid off with him. It was unbelievable the emotions I ran through with RB and others in my dept that had to leave the company, and I'm so glad he's back in a management position, and being paid slightly more than his prior salary.

Good things really do happen to good people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home