A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, February 15, 2010

Project Planner

I'm one of those people who love to plan things. I plan most everything in my life within my realm of control. As early as my high school years I can remember being an ardent fan of planned events. God knows I didn't inherit this from my parents and most of my siblings love living in a controlled, chaotic environment. I have everything timed and organize activities that will work within the allotted time. Traveling is so much easier now that I plan out every last detail. No longer do I worry about what site I didn't find time to sight. And because of having to endure having my luggage lost in Little Rock, I even organize how my suitcases are packed.

I remember why I began organizing my travels- it was my first time to Portland, OR. My momma had cleaned and ironed some dresses she thought I'd need to attend church services but I left most of them home thinking they were too dressy for the occasion. Imagine how stupid and raggedy I felt when I arrived in my casual outfits surrounded ny some of the most elegantly-dressed women on the planet! I was horrified, Momma was embarrassed and I vowed then and there I'd never EVER let that happen again.

So the next year, for the convention I had begun planning what would be taken about four months prior to the trip. I inventoried my clothes, decided how many outfit changes I would need, which shoes would match, if certain tops could be worn withies than one outfit etc. Keep in mind, this was before the days you were forced to pay for your luggage so luggage amount and weight meant nothing back then.

Anyway, after listing the clothes and adding the required accessories, I planned which outfit would be worn in the mornings, and which would be worn in the evenings. I typed the list out and placed one in each suitcase AND carried one in my makeup bag. Does anyone remember carrying those cute little makeup/overnight pieces of luggage? Well I packed the list in that too just to make sure. I should have put tags on the clothes like they do for photo shoots but I wasn't that advanced back then.

And since then, every trip is planned the same way. My little jaunts to Vegas? Written out. My trips everywhere else? Written out.

Next month, if the Lord says the same, a few of my family and friends are taking an Eastern Carribbean cruise. And just like that second trip, I'm already planned, listed and ready to go. Spontaniery? Flying by the seat of my pants? Leaving things to chance? Not me. Y'all that can do it without planning have my respect. I would have to be fed sedatives if I had to travel without an itinerary and daily dress plan. It keeps me rested, it helps me stay sane.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is the cruise and how can I be invited?

February 16, 2010 4:53 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I tend to do the same -or I should say, I used to plan as much as possible of my wardrobe when taking even just an overnight trip to visit family. (I don't travel away from home all that much these days.) It's a great time-saver too if you have your clothes fairly organized because, at home, left to my own disorganized devices here then it tends to take me forever to decide what I should wear -if I have all my clothes hanging in front of me to select from then. Planning ahead gives me fewer choices but I think, better ones and saves time, energy and eliminates a lot of frustrations that way too. Peace.

February 16, 2010 8:42 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

The Plan:

The night before, or often the morning of determine

hot/cold/mixed weather

dress/casual/golf

number of days

Go into the bedroom and put stuff that probably will do in the bag. That was singular bag. The inviolate rule of travel is one bag that can be carried on. Run out of clothes? Hotel valet or laundromat depending on where you are. That and a laptop will take you anywhere.

February 16, 2010 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Debo Blue said...

Hey Anon-the trip's already booked and if you are who I think you are, you're still not coming! But I will miss you LOLOL!

Jeni-doesn't that make life much easier? Dave's method of packing would cause me to break out hives, sweats and tears:-)

Cheers Dave.

February 16, 2010 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home