A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Fine Art of Procrastination


I like to believe that I finish everything I start, and having a strong work ethic, I turn in the best work. In other words, I don't do anything half-done, or half-assed.

So imagine my dilemma as I sit here, taking another detour away from completing an important project.

The report was initially done 1/11 but my boss (thanks to Divine Intervention) changed the due date to 1/22. Any normal, perfectionist as I would rejoice and improve on the work already done right? Right. What I didn't figure in was the death of Uncle Tony and the subsequent time consuming activities.

Last Friday I packed up some documents and my work laptop and headed home, determined to complete the report in one day. What I didn't figure in this time was having no desire at all to power up the laptop except to play newly discovered Spider Solitaire.

This morning I woke up prepared to focus on this project while everyone is asleep and the house is quiet. What I didn't figure in this morning was acknowledging that I just don't want to work on this project, or any project for that matter.

So now here I sit. The Colts are playing the Jets, the kids are running around screaming and getting in to things, and I'm hungry. And I've just discovered the document with crucial important reporting information is at work. Now I'll have to either go in to work or wait 'til tomorrow and turn the report in even later. All because of procrastination. A concept previously foreign to me and now I'm suffering for it.

Here are pictures from last week's family gathering:









3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Do what you can without the crucial document. Alarm set to get you to work before five, work like hell. Panic can clear the mind for productivity. I've been there.

January 24, 2010 2:20 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

And, "Hey Dave. Happy Sunday" is full blown procrastination.

January 24, 2010 2:22 PM  
Anonymous オテモヤン said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 25, 2010 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home