A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

This Morning

This morning I cooked breakfast for the growing number of family members arriving to the house who hadn't time to eat. Unfortunately, although I love and crave all things dedicated to the culinary arts, I'm the absolute worst cook in the house but there was too much to be done for the more able to cook.
Pictures were taken, fond remembrances of loved ones who have already passed through were shared and jokes about those who remain were passed around too.
Reverence, thanks and praise was given to God for the food and the hands that laboured for it and the hands that prepared it, and the unlucky ones had to eat my cooking.
There is no greater joy than the joy of seeing loved ones after years of only verbal and electronic communications. And if you are related, you can see similarities with others, and wryly compare your signs of aging against theirs, and worry that some signs of aging and or illness have erased vitality and youthful exuberance. But sitting there in the kitchen this morning and laughing with my family about memories and current economic woes (the majority of us are unemployed), and rolling my eyes when it's my turn to be teased and lovingly ridiculed erased all that.
This morning some of my family got up and begin dressing for the special church service. White shirts were ironed, black suits were ironed or touched up, shoes were polished or wiped. White handkerchiefs for the men were located and placed in suit pockets; grand, big black hats were found for the women as well as their black handkerchiefs. Cuff links snapped to, gold crosses on the pastors were draped into the left front shirt pockets and wool hats lint brushed.
All too soon the call for the procession began, more pictures being taken as everyone began to form the family procession that would lead to the church.
There are too many who are not here to name, but this morning we that are here have gathered to attend the funeral of my Uncle Anthony, 54 who died a week after doctors discovered lymphoma in his brain. Before this diagnosis, Tony was doing what he always did: running around here and there, helping everyone, being an asset to everyone who knew him, and just being one of the greatest men in this entire world. So, from Idaho, Texas, California, and Georgia we have come to celebrate the life of one who was so awesome and will be certainly and sorrowfully missed.
As my family walked down to the church I took pictures then gave the camera to my little brother to record what I will miss. This morning while everyone's at the funeral I will clean the kitchen and find something to do while I await their return and the jokes about my cooking that are coming.
It does no good wondering why death comes to some so early. And I've discovered it's no good holding your breath wondering which of us will be the next to go. You just have to thank God for allowing you to be born into the best family in the world (I'm biased), for knowing some of the sweetest, lovingest (I think I made that word up) folks, and try harder to visit family while we're on this side.
"Will the (family) circle be unbroken by and by?
There's a better home awaiting in the sky"

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I think you are allowed to wonder why they they left (that's a line from Pos when Tony, Tony in my life, was in my mind taken).

I'm thinking that the food wasn't that bad; and, if it was, that wasn't the point of the gathering. Egg McMuffins would have been OK.

I'm thinking they smiled and cried, just like you.

January 16, 2010 2:42 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

First -Debo -after having been a reader of your blog for probably 3 years now, I know how close your family is -and you, especially, have a such a bond with your family members, please accept my condolences on this latest loss to your family circle. I -like you -often wonder about the family circle(s) of which my kids and I are members and with each passing, how much longer will those bonds remain. I do believe though as long as we continue to recognize those with whom we have blood links, regardless of how close or distant the relationship, that bond will remain. It is when we forget that we have relatives, be they scattered hither, thither and yon, that the bond begins to weaken and then snaps off completely. (My reasoning there for keeping family tree research and records up-to-date ya know) And I agree with Dave about the food too -as it makes no never mind if food is excellent gourmet or fast-food, it's the company gathered to share it that counts.

January 18, 2010 12:39 AM  
Anonymous Debo Blue said...

Each of your comments are so touching. Thank you!

January 18, 2010 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home