A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Sure Foundation


When I was in my preteens my parents built a new home -our current home- built brick by brick. There were no mortgages, no financial backings, no loans from the bank. As they accumulated the money, more of the house would be built. It was a slow process and I remember how my friends and other neighbours would tease us about never living long enough to actually live in the house.

Well, eventually, about five years after the foundation was laid we moved in, right across the street from our delapidated shack of a home into the fanciest brick home on the block. My mother had a special dinner for some close friends and had the pastor come and bless the house.

While the house was being built, I remember wandering over while the builder was pouring the concrete for the foundation and wondering why my parents were so excited about concrete. My mother explained that now that the foundation was being built, nothing could stop the process. The foundation was the most important part of the house and as long as it was secure and correct, everything else would be alright.

In my church we used to sing a song: "What more can He do? What more can He do? He laid the foundation and He opened up the way. What more can He do?" This means God has established us and we have a firm, sure foundation. One that cannot be moved or destroyed.

Well, a few months ago, metaphorically speaking, my foundation was shaken and I don't know to what extent it's damaged. I have all these little cracks going here and there but most of them don't appear to be deep, they can easily be filled and repaired. Unfortunately there still remain deep crevices that I don't know can be repaired. I don't want the house on the foundation to be destroyed because my parents put too much into it. My parents nurtured this house and did everything they could to make it a home, livable, enjoyable and all things to us.

I don't know what to do to make the repairs. Time? Family? A new contractor or the one that built it in the first place? A few months ago I didn't know how to contact the original Contractor and I didn't believe He could or would be willing to help even if I did call. I know He hears me and He knows me. I just have to accept His work plans and believe in His decisionmaking.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Causing tears is not allowed.

My thought is that the foundation is fully intact, physically and metaphorically. Were it not, you would be unable to write what you write.

Some foundations are built on sand, yours is not.

I don't quite like how that flowed; but, you get the idea.

September 04, 2008 7:07 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I see something scary here -Dave apparently is into mind-reading tonight and it looks like it was my mind he was reading, judging by his comments. I say that because I agree totally with what he said. I think your foundation is firm and solid -you're just somehow seeing little fissures that can be put back into proper order, into place, simply because you started out with a very good laying of concrete!
Peace.

September 04, 2008 11:24 PM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Hey, you're back! I'd just about given up on you.

The Contractor gives up on no one. Trust in Him and you'll be OK.

September 05, 2008 2:40 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

A solid foundation...I like that....yes if we use the right stuff to start off with things often fall back into place....like the others have said...thinks seem solid to me....

September 06, 2008 10:04 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Dave-causing tears not intended:-)

Jeni-thanks for the wonderful email. I forwarded to my sister and sisterfriends.

Dr.S-long time. Thanks for stopping by.

Smalltown-ditto. I'm humbled you came too.

September 06, 2008 7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Debo,
Nice to see you back on-line. I hope you weather your crisis. You've always struck me as having a solid head on your shoulders and the faith to make it through the rest. Good luck to you and best wishes.

September 08, 2008 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home