A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Loose Change


When I was a little girl coins (change) fascinated me. My father used to collect all types of coins-silver dollars, .50 cent pieces, Buffalo nickels and pennies with wheat symbols on the back. Although not a collector in the true sense of the word, Daddy would still put away certain coins for as long as I can remember. When he died there was (and still is) a small safe that contains very old coins.

I've never been a collector of anything except Martha Grimes and Agatha Christie mysteries but I would save my change for my nieces and nephews who, after kidnapping the ice cream man, would run into the house desperately needing money for treats from the ice cream truck. As the kids grew up and away, I've continued saving my change, cashing it in when the pewter pig that I keep it in becomes too heavy.

I usually roll the coins while watching mindless t.v. or listening to the old iPod. The rolled coins I'd keep in a Ziploc container until that became too heavy and I'd haul it all in to either be deposited in to my account or cashed. I've been doing this for so long I was shocked, surprised then angry when my credit union announced that they no longer accept rolled coins!

Say what?!

Now I can understand them not wanting rolled coins if they exceed a certain amount (or weight), like that guy a few years back who had like $10k in pennies. I don't have $10k in pennies. I don't even have 10k pennies. I only have about $150 bucks and you will no longer accept it?

Okay, I turn around and march over to my bank who has it posted all over their lobby that they now charge a 5% fee to accept rolled coins!
Are you serious?

What am I supposed to do w/all this change, all these coins sitting in my bedroom not making any money? Am I supposed to use it to buy things? So a thought comes in to my head: why don't I just use these coins to buy gift cards or traveler's cheques? Hee-Hee.

"No, you can't Ma'am" the guy wearing a woman's engagement ring and too much lip gloss sings to me. "We can no longer accept rolled coins to buy anything, but you can take your coins to one of the Coinstar locations listed here and use their machine to cash in your coins."

So defeated, I lug those coins back in the car and come home. I think I'm gonna start a coin collection.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am surprised that since coins are legal tender for all purchases and debts, that some hotshot attorney hasn't filed a huge class action law suit over this against all those that don't take coins in quantity.

Maybe I should go to law school before this idea sets in on someone.

Later Y'all.

April 14, 2008 4:29 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

What the heck kind of logic is that? Did either the credit union or your bank give any reason why they no longer take rolled coins?
When I worked as asst. manager at the last truckstop where I worked, I often had to go to the waitresses and have them "sell" me their change - coins and bills alike. I'd really be curious as to what the reason is behind this and hope that it doesn't become a national trend - or is it that already?

April 14, 2008 7:08 PM  
Blogger CaRo said...

Hi Debo!
How are you?
I collect coins, I like it very much!
I'm a little miss with the blog, because I don't have a lot of time right now.
I hope you are all right.

Bye bye
CaRo

April 14, 2008 7:58 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

My Mom was a cashier at an independant grocery store from the time I was about six until I graduated high school.

When ever she had a customer pay with a silver dollar, she would pull out her purse put a dollar bill in the cash register and put the silver dollar in her purse.

Over the years she collected quite a few. A couple of years before her death, she made a nice contribution to each of her three niece's college funds.

April 15, 2008 4:52 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i'm with melon. a bank refusing legal tender??? no way. get a lawyer. that is so stupid i can't grasp the thought! yeesh...

(hi debo!)

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

April 20, 2008 8:51 PM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

Find a Commerce Bank (if they have them in your state) and take your money there. They have a machine like Coinstar, but there is NO fee for using it and you don't even have to be a customer.

Love!

April 24, 2008 11:40 AM  
Blogger Spoon of life said...

I'm sorry they wouldn't let you do it...Coinstar is my friend hehehe...I collect all my change in a jar and when it's full I go there and I use it for grocery usually;)

Love to you:)

April 29, 2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger H said...

that's a shame. I love it when I hand a whole bunch of coins to the guy at the road toll counter, and he looks all hassled about counting them all. holds up his lines.

I'm a sicko.

May 02, 2008 6:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe they charge to accept money. What am I going to do if I ever get around to getting rid of all my loose change? Maybe we should melt it all down and start making jewelry or something. Might beat the day job.
How're you doing?

May 15, 2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Uh, Debo, I saw you commented at Dave's place today! So at least I know you are still alive and kicking but two months and no post, no comments? What the heck have you been doing with yourself? I sure hope they haven't been making you work day and night, kid! Miss you!
Come read, come back and post -soon! OKAY?
Peace!

June 24, 2008 7:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I owe you a post as promised, and I just realized I can't post anonomously and then sign my name in the body of the comment. Takes all the fun out of commenting.

I'm still pondering what to write, it's coming along.

August 20, 2008 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home