A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Have You Kissed Your Employees Lately?



Today I spent most of my day working on my employees' performance reviews. I have about fifteen to write but I have a plan-I try to complete at least two per day to make sure they're all done by the deadline. So far it's always worked however I had so much other life to take care of I couldn't keep my two per day goal so I thought I'd better power up the old lappie and get down to the nitty gritty. Wow, does ANYONE say "nitty gritty" anymore?


Normally working on reviews isn't that bad because my people have completed them, I just have to go through and add my own comments. Occasionally I get the review from the person who thinks they're all that and two bags of Frito's lime and salt chips and it's my job to remind him/her of all the days they were late; leaving w/o completing their portion of the project; completely ignoring my instructions; adding fuel to the rumour/hate mill or just being an all around pain in the rear.

I have a slight bit of OCD, I think most of you regulars know this. When I do my reviews they're always in alphabetical order. I can never skip around, it has to be alphabetical. The only reason I bring this up is because completing reviews for the employees I like (yes, I don't like some of my people) is always easier because there's so much I remember or know that they did to help me during the year. Those not as high up on my "I like you" meter are the ones I have to just force myself to say something original and heartfelt even though these people know I would pay them to leave the Company. If I could just do the reviews of my "good people" the review time could be cut in half but because it has to be alphabetical, I just have to muddle through.

And because I know that these reviews will be viewed by potential bosses when they're applying for jobs, I don't want to just skewer these people's reputations or completely dismiss their accomplishments, but then if I don't address it I'm just passing off bad behaviour to the next manager and that's not fair either to my reputation or to the person who hires the employee.

I remember my first awful review. My boss at that time was courteous enough to prepare me for it beforehand so that I wouldn't pass out or beat her down like the clown she was. On the day it was administered she had brought in her peer and they had tissue for me but I put on a brave front. Signed it, made about a page and a half of notes of why I felt it was unfair and left for the day, using my sick time.

This bad experience helped me be more focused and humane during these poor reviews but I hope that I've set expectations all along so that my people won't be surprised when they see the review.

I was over at Fermi's and she was telling us that she did her taxes today. I should have done my taxes too. I only use the 1040EZ so it takes all of eight minutes to complete. I'll try to do them tomorrow because I have a bet w/my mother that I'll have finished my taxes before 4/15 at 11:30pm, my normal time. I've just got to beat her.

Happy week everyone!

5 Comments:

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh i always hated those reviews. they were like report cards in school...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

April 07, 2008 8:20 AM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Wow, a supervisor who tries to be fair about their employee reviews. I'm shocked!

April 08, 2008 1:41 PM  
Blogger H said...

You're formidably conscientious, Blue.

And you do your taxes in 8 minutes?!

REEEEEEESPECCCCT!

Thanks for this, Debo dear. A squirm a day does indeed keep the laxatives away.

April 09, 2008 6:04 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I might be getting soft in my old age because i gave all of my reps pretty good reviews.

April 09, 2008 9:39 PM  
Blogger Spoon of life said...

I'm back!!! I had some crazy weeks but I'm back going around in my favorite blogs and you are at the top of my list!!!
I really like your writing my friend!!!

April 10, 2008 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home