A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #8




THIRTEEN QUOTES BY REV MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.




1. "All men are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality."

2. "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

3. "It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."

4. "Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true."

5. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

6. "Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars...Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

7. "Segregation is the adultery of an illicit intercourse between injustice and immorality."

8. "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

9. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

10. "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

11. "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

12. "Now, I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: -'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"

13. "...and I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land. So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man." This is Rev King's last public speech before being assassinated.




To protect myself from having Mr. Knight declare this not being my own work, I found these and other great quotes at Quotationspage.com.


8 Comments:

Blogger Blu Jewel said...

each of these quotes are very powerful and contain some heavy meaning, but there was something about the content of #2 that has me greatly moved.

Thanks for this great post.

January 11, 2007 7:15 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

This was really a grat post! Like so many others, I've read or heard a few of these -especially of course the last two, but so many other exceptional things came from this truly exceptional, inspiring man's lips, pen and mind, that it's great to read a few new ones here. Well, new to me at any rate! Thanks for a really inspirin post today,

January 11, 2007 11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post in honor of MLK's birthday. I especially like quote #2.

January 11, 2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Wonderful post. He was truly a great man.

January 11, 2007 4:17 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Thanks everyone! My favourites are #s 2 & 3.

January 11, 2007 9:28 PM  
Blogger Spoon of life said...

Those are so amazing...I absolutely love number 5...so true:)

January 12, 2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Absolutely brillliant post! Definitely makes you wonder what he would think about the world today?
Cheers
Clairex

January 14, 2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

These quotations are so touching. I was especially moved at quotations 2, 5, and 6.

January 25, 2007 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home