A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, November 20, 2006

Opposites Sometimes Do Attract


I have a friends, really good friends. Friends who listen to my problems and let me walk through them without trying to rescue me. Friends who allow me to rant and rave, throw up my hands in disgust and walk away or who just keep passing the tissue 'til I cry it all out. I recognize the blessing that is a good friend. Knowing this has made me work harder at being there for my friends during their times of need.
Most of my friends don't look like me, or believe like me, or have experienced the same lessons of life like me. And though we each have something different in common, the common denominator between me and my friends is the ability to support each other. There have been times when I've looked around and wondered, "why in the world are we friends?" We're so different racially, economically, marital-ly, education-ly, parent-ly but we still mesh. We still call each other, email each other, share photos of the kids etc.

I truly thank God that He has blessed me with friends because this can be a lonely world in of itself. Without another human to help from time to time would be complete and total despair.

This blog is dedicated to my friend, "Sicka" who has become very close to me in a short amount of time. She is completely opposite of me and I was just wondering why we were friends. I can't explain the chemistry and all that other scientific stuff, again, I attribute it to God.

Where I can be compassionate to the point of bawling after seeing a homeless person sitting on the side of the road, her posessions strewn out all around her, watching as she smiles at passing cars while craddling a small dog. While my heart is aching for the poor lady and the horrible situation she's in, Sicka will have a totally opposite view.

She, being the pragmatic realist will respond to the situation as the lady doesn't have to be in that situation. She allowed this to happen and it's okay because no one tells us how to live our lifes and that lady made the choice to live like this. Tough words but I've seen Sicka pull over and offer cash to people like this lady or circle back with food if there are children, the old softie.

Another part where we differ A LOT is social interaction. I have been accused, from time to time, of being something of a social butterfly. I mean yes, I do speak to people, I do smile at most everyone I meet and yes, I will make time to listen to other's problems. I think it's because I can quickly make people feel at ease and I'm round and squishy. Sicka, on the other hand, can have more prickly stickers on her than a farm of cacti.

She's not very social, has a tendency (yes, she'll read this sometime) to be negative or unhappy, sees the bad in most every situation and has few friends. BUT, and this is a huge BUT, Sicka will literally give a person the clothes off her back. Her heart may be black around the edges but the core is pure gold.

Where I'm slow to allow someone up close and personal, Sicka quickly envelopes others but sometimes her dark views causes them to shy away. Where I love being in a crowd and making sure everyone's happy, Sicka's there to make sure no one runs off w/the hostess' gifts or silverware.
I'm a conservative, Bible-believing, tongue-talking, no drinking, no smoking, one man-woman Black Pentecostal and she's a conservative Third Realm smoking and drinking, free love sharing Caucasian Agnostic.

How then is it we're friends? What does she see in me to keep hanging around? I don't know. What I do know is that I don't want to think of her not being around making me laugh, gasp, or gently chatising her about some of her wild ways.

I'm sure she'd miss me too if I left. After all it's she who's been my biggest supporter of the WLS and exercising. She drops off great-tasting recipes that are low-fat, low-sodium. All the stuff I need to eat and snack on.

So, I'm not gonna keep wondering why we're friends. I'm gonna show love to her, pray for her and keep her close like I do all my friends. I don't have time to break our relationship down into microscopic sections then theorize on each part. She calls me Friend. I can accept that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

A very nice tribute to your friend! Isn't it funny how things like that just seem to click?

November 21, 2006 5:07 AM  
Blogger Pea said...

Very few people can say they have true friends. I'm trying to think about my friends and whether we can be said to be similar or extreme opposites. I honestly don't know! Lol. Good for you!! Bless!

November 21, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

sounds very similar to the friendship i have with paz over at "The Path".

2 people couldn't be more opposite, ESPECIALLY when we first met as 18 year old college freshman.

But now....don't know what i'd do without him. (but don't tell him i said that)

November 22, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

True friendship is a rare and precious gift that isn't confined to color, social standing, education, etc. It is the common bond formed, nurtured, appreciated, and allowed to grow between two (sometimes more) people. It is the gift God sends us to show how much He cares and doesn't want us to be lonely. Your tribute to your friend is beautiful

God bless you both.

November 22, 2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger Gene Bach said...

Very, very nice post. Just think how boring life would be if we were all the same.

"Well Bill, what would you like in your coffee today?"

"One sugar."

"Joe?"

"One sugar"

"Jerry?"

"One sugar."

Well, you get the picture. LOL!

November 25, 2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post. We all need to have the openness to share with people who are different from us.

November 30, 2006 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home