A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Hate Election Campaigning


I'm a political scientist in that I love the business of politics. If I could have any job in the world (aside from working for ESPN or NFL films) I'd be on a PAC or working as a campaign manager.
-
I count every opportunity to vote as the privilege that it is. Little known but important fact: my father had to wait until he was 42 before the U.S allowed him to vote-even though he was an American citizen!! My father was born a black man in 1917 in a country where he was able to work in cotton fields at the ripe old age of 5 years old, but he couldn't vote until 42. History has recorded this painful piece of American history so I won't dig up old pains. I will say again that I vote to uphold the memories of all those black folk that paved the way for me and my generations.
-
I am a Promise. Somewhere, someone prayed that his or her children wouldn't have it as hard as they did, and that's me. A Promise kept by God that I would too 'hold these truths to be self-evident' and that I too could pursue 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' on my own terms. Don't worry, my rose-coloured glasses aren't real. I know all about the problems that still face Blacks and other minorities. My name's not Condoleeza (although I deeply admire and respect her and pray for her almost everyday).
-
Getting back to elections, they just bring out the worst in most of the candidates. Here in my state the Democratic governor is under siege by a mean and vile Republican opponent. He's not mean and vile because he's a Republican, he's mean and vile because he's using deliberate lies and half-lies to discount the governor.
-
Then we have two senators, again divided by Party who have moved way past mud-slinging-they've upped the ante to human fecal matter. And every TV commercial has the opponents and supporters telling me how to vote next Tuesday.
-
The money they're spending to lash out of each other is just phenomenal! I should work for a political campaign, I'd make better bucks:-) But boy, all the accusations and privacy intrusions these candidates put up with is too much for me to handle. I mean, some of these candidates have published thier opponent's bankruptcy filings, accused them of working for the mafia, of being too pro-Bush and not for the people. Aaauuuughhh! I have to turn the channel each time one of those commercials comes on because I know it's going to be some kind of election junk that I don't want to hear about.
-
And what happens after the elections? These same people are going to meet at a rally or government event one day. Will they shake hands and be amicable to each other? I don't think I could. If I were a candidate and my opponents have done to me what some have done, I couldn't sit in the same room and play nice. I'd be taking off my shoes to try and give a good beat down (Lord, forgive me) 'cause I'm not having all that!
-
I think about President Clinton (with his FINE self) and the former President Bush. They're traveling around the world together, Clinton says he loves Bush, they appear to be joined at the hip now. How is this possible with all the mud-slinging these two did in '92? To use a term lightly, 'strange bedfellows indeed'!
-
So next Tuesday, before work I'm going to my polling place, proudly display my ID and enter to vote on the largest number of ballots in state history. And I'm going to do it because I believe my vote will count, I want my voice to be heard, and for the memory of my daddy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pea said...

I find the commercials interesting! I can't vote, but I think America needs major changes so I'm praying for all the voters to make the right choices.

November 05, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

It's crazy but I never really paid too much attention to politics. My first time voting was for Clinton the second go 'round and life was so good under him I didn't feel the need to pay attention.

And then there's this new guy who i voted AGAINST twice which has jaded my opinion of the electoral process even more.

BUT i do owe him thanks for motivating me to be much more politically aware.

November 11, 2006 5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home