A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, November 17, 2008


I'm in a Marian McPartland kind of mood this morning. Quiet, tension free. All keys being played slowly, melodiously.

I've just dried up from my morning shower, scanned my calendar for today's meetings and glancing over the headlines. Still more of the same: Citigroup's laying off an additional 53k folks, and I'm sure those people are not all top managers taking home huge bonuses for jobs well done-poorly.

Over at my company they've cleared all the layoffs for this year. It begins all over again next year, which is only two months away. Funny how they didn't say "In less than sixty days we begin anew." So, God's protected me again and I'm still standing.
Everything is so tense at work. Employees leaving for stress days or those too stressed to leave for fear they'll be considered liabilities and unable to hold up under stress. For my folks who've come to me I've just given the same message: these are changing times for companies everywhere, you have to make sure there's nothing wanting in your performance. If something comes up, you'll be the second to know."

It's a sobering experience to constantly be in this environment of stress and I have to remind myself how lucky I am that if and when I'm laid off I have a back up plan and the layoff will affect just me. I don't have dependent children to worry about, no mortgage or rent and my old jalopy will be paid off in February. So when my people come to me with their worries and frustrations, I worry about them too.

There are two women in my area who have had to change to full time schedules because their husbands were laid off and their homes in foreclosure. On top of all that, one of the ladies is pregnant so we don't know what her stress level will be from one hour to the next. We're trying to buffer her from customers as much as we can, but then she feels we'll consider her the weakest link and not tell us when she's feeling overwhelmed until she's a basket case in front of her peers, causing more stress to her surrounding co-workers.
And when I'm not calming my folks, I'm having to talk my peers off the ledge which is why I'm glad that I have good friends in my life to listen to my fears and frustrations and feed me too (shout out to BFF Pete!).

So, before I go into that craziness this Monday morning, I felt like hearing Marian. Slow and easy. Melodious and light. Tension free. Here's hoping your Monday and week is like this:-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I hope you -as well as your co-workers -are able to ride this all through and come out of it as unscathed as possible. I've been on the unemployed and the "underemployed" side many times in my life and trying to work, to produce good quality under circumstances beyond one's control is really a difficult thing to do. And our current economic crisis is such that I don't really think there are very many who aren't being affected by it -in one way or another. Foreclosures and unemployment, compounded, do make for a very bleak outlook and way too many are facing both of these situations, simultaneously. About all any of us can do, for the most part, is to pray that we can all weather the storm as best as possible.

November 17, 2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

This reminds me of how fortunate I am to have a job that's pretty much layoff-proof.

Marian McPartland really didn't ring a bell with me until I looked her up. I sorta remember Piano Jazz from when I worked at the college radio station eons ago.

November 17, 2008 5:48 PM  
Blogger Citizen Ojo said...

I have been there before (lay off) I had just bought a house... sometimes thinking about it still bothers me. Hopefully one day it will all make sense.

November 17, 2008 7:25 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Jeni-it's getting rougher because we never know what's going to happen. We're all just waiting to see who leaves next.

Dr.S-Marian's been around a long time but her stuff's still nice. A great tool for a busy day.

Citizen-welcome to my humble site away from home. Sorry to hear you've tasted this directly and it's still bitter huh?

November 17, 2008 10:43 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Hey Debo,

You have a good attitude about it though. I take each day as it comes...one day at a time. I learned to do that when I became sober 8 years ago. Hang in there. You are in my prayers.

And for all others that are facing these bleak times, I'm praying for you too!

Peace!
Keith

November 18, 2008 6:42 AM  
Blogger Citizen Ojo said...

Yep!! Thanks I come by often but I always like an official welcome..

November 18, 2008 6:30 PM  
Blogger TheWriteGirl said...

Yeah, Marian. Can you think of a better role model? We should all live to a ripe old age, doing what we love to do, being endlessly creative and sharing our creativity with those around us.

November 20, 2008 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home