A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, October 31, 2008

Witches Warlocks and Stevie Nicks

At work today I saw a woman who reminded me of Stevie Nicks. The long frizzy/curly hair. The outrageously high black boots. The flowing dress made of handkerchiefs or rags. And of course, being reminded of Stevie had me rummaging through the old iPod for one of my favourite duets.

Are you familiar with the song "Leather and Lace" sung by Stevie and Don Henley? Don't worry if you're not. Melon and Dr. S remember it. Anyway, during the opening lyrics of the song Stevie's singing that Don the male voice thinks she's fragile and she goes on to sing, "I have my own life and I am stronger than you know."

So, because I have too much time on my hands, I started thinking about how funny this song really is as it relates to Stevie Nicks.

The first thing I thought is Stevie actually carries the song which is okay because it's on her album anyway. The second thought was during the duet part, Stevie actually makes Don sing the high part or the part usually done by the female in a duet. Thus the power of Ms.Nicks-able to overpower even the great Don Henley-Mr.Eagle himself. And although I don't like much Rock, I will admit to a weakness for Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks. If I'm further pressed I'll admit to liking Bryan Adams, a little bit of Whitesnake and just a taste of the Eagles and that's all. I don't want to jeopardize my "sista card".

Anyway, as the title suggests, this is also about little witches. I had to work late tonight and unfortunately missed the parade of ghouls, witches and princesses and warlocks.

It was warm this evening so sweaters were not needed. Nothing to impede or hinder blinking lights where eyes should be. No heavy coats stifling flowing satiny skirts. I know some of you had snow this Halloween and while I don't want snow or freezing temps, I would have liked cooler haunting weather. I believe the high today was in the low to mid 90's again.

So, to all the parents and relatives of humans that annually turn into ghouls, witches and princesses, I leave you with a picture of one of the cutest little witches I've seen in a few years. I'm biased, don't judge me. I've also included the lyrics to my all time Stevie Nicks duet.






"Stop Dragging My Heart Around"

Baby you'll come knocking on my front door

Same old line you used to use before

I said yeah, well what am I supposed to do

I didn't know what I was getting into.

So you've had a little trouble in town

Now you're keeping some demon down

Stop draggin my

Stop draggin my

Stop draggin my heart around.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think my favorite Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac song is Silver Spring.

Just the right amount of haunting well balanced music with magic lyrics.

That was some of her best work.

Later Y'all.

November 01, 2008 6:28 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Aw, Debo - that little princess is just way too cute and adorable! The smile though, dimples and the look in her eyes speak legions of devilish tricks she can pull on you or anyone else! Just so doggone sweet, ya know! Don't they just melt your heart though with looks like that?

November 01, 2008 6:53 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

What a doll.

November 01, 2008 7:15 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Melon-I love Silver Spring too but the beat and fierceness on Dragging gets it for me. And what about Rihannon? I just love most of her stuff.

Jeni-yes, she gets into all sorts of things and now that she's potty trained, bathroom patrol all the time!

Thanks Keith. She is.

November 01, 2008 7:57 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Landslide, the 1997 live version.

And, she is cute - she has "alive" eyes.

November 01, 2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger Hawa Bond said...

That certainly is one of the cutest witches I've ever seen, and I'm not biased.

As for the blog name hint: WAR.

(And you're right about one thing: Truth is something we all need to read more about. Forget about the Joneses. We need to keep up with ourselves before we call ourselves understanding the rest of th world.)

Thanks for contributing to the discussions at Fackin Truth.

Hawa, author of
Fackin Truth Blog (Personal Blog)
and
Cleanse Master Remix (Health Blog)

November 01, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

"Rhiannon", "Silver Spring", "Landslide", "Frozen Love" and "Edge Of Seventeen" are Nicks' best. I consider her to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Although I had a big crush on her when I was in high school.

If you're a fan, I'd recommend seeking out Buckingham Nicks, the album the duo recorded before they joined Fleetwood Mac. "Frozen Love" is from this disc. Hard to find these days, but well worth it.

November 02, 2008 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home