A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #13

THIRTEEN WAYS MY JOB CAN BE DIFFICULT

Sometimes it pays to be the boss, other times it doesn't.

1. Hiring the right people.

2. Making sure the right people understand the requirements of the job (showing up, doing a great job, exhibiting normal acceptable social behaviour).

3. Making sure my people understand their goals and how their goals impact my goals and onward and upward.

4. Helping people understand that while they're at work they really should leave their personal issues home. There will always be exceptions, but I don't need to know that my employee and her husband are not having sex, do I?

5. Some of my employees think I'm supposed to be nursemaid, mother, adviser and Mary Poppins. I'm neither. I'm your boss. I'm supposed to empower you, treat you respectfully and provide tools and training to help them do their jobs as best they can.

6. Meeting after meeting after meeting.Ya, basta! (Enough already)!

7. Not being able to tell me employees that I think some of their actions are just the dumbest I've ever heard.

8. Trying to inspire someoone who has neither the skill nor the will to do better in their jobs.

9. Leaving the job at the job and not carrying it w/me all weekend.

10. Listening to excuses from my reps as to why they keep making the same mistake over and over.

11. Pretending to support every change handed down by my bosses.

12. Dealing w/my peers who are sometimes just as uninspired and insipid as some of my employees.

13. Running into a former employee whose employment was terminated.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe I should steal your idea one of these days. Many of your reasons are why I'm self employed now.
Good 13.

February 22, 2007 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home