A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #12

Yeah, I know it's late but it's still Thursday here in AZ (smile). Here are thirteen events that have happened this month that have me scratching my head saying, "Huh?" or rolling my eyes saying "WTW?!" or just jumping for joy!


1. Anna Nicole dies and I feel sorry for her because she's lost her life, her daughter will never know her and all these men are now claiming to be the father of the child. Why these men want to do this is soooooo crazy to me!

2. Eddie Murphy's new movie supposedly depicts big black women as being over-sexed, over-bearing and and just plain over-the-top. Well, I'm a big black woman and I'm not overly annoyed at Eddie's movie. I'll probably even go see it because I'm smart enough to know no movie will ever dictate how I should act, dress or love.

3. Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) is on the cover of Vogue making her only the 3rd Black woman to grace its cover. And hello? She's not a size 4!

4. A 29-year old man convinced two older men that he was only 12, moved w/them across country to AZ where they lived as a normal family. Well, that is if a normal family had two fathers that regularly had sex with a 12 year old boy who was really a 29 year old man. WTW?

5. Tavis Smiley continues his rise to one of the most respected Black men in the Black community. Don't worry that you've not heard of him. You will soon.

6. Mary J. Blige takes two minutes to name 55 people during her acceptance speech at the Grammys. Mary, you couldn't have left shout outs on your web page?

7. Dragon still hasn't come out of hiding even though his Bears were a disappointment on the biggest day in Football life. I'd hang my head in shame too D-baby.

8. Tim Hardaway, in a moment of free-speech declared his hatred for all people gay. Tim, you should know better than to be open and honest in this day and age. Now you're out of a lot of money, guest spots and possibly lucrative hair colouring products with Keith Hernandez & Walt Frazier. Oh well, if Dennis Rodman can survive, you certainly will.

9. Exxonmobil says it could care less about spending money to research for cheaper, cleaner-burning fuel alternatives. It would rather keep us paying through our noses for their gas & oil.

10. Ben Stein is still one of the greatest columnists in my opinion. I eagerly look for his column in the Sunday Times as much as I used to await Roger Rosenblatt's weekly Time magazine's.

11. It's a federal offense for me to lock you in my bedroom but it's perfectly fine for you to be held for nine hours against your will on an airplane. WTW? I'd still be calling every lawyer in town if I was one of those passengers! Nine hours? Can you imagine what the toilets looked like? Oh gross!

12. My eldest niece, "Bean" received a wedding proposal last night. She said yes and thrilled us all! We're so excited. I'm gonna order a wedding planner book for her through Amazon.com and maybe Modern Bride for some ideas.

13. One of my youngest nieces is pregnant. We're upset, happy, sad. You name it, we're feeling it. Knowing how her mother struggled as a single mother should have incented her to avoid that life, wouldn't it? Oh well, it's her life so she'll have to walk the path she's chosen for herself. The good news is she'll have a great support system w/us.



5 Comments:

Blogger Lizza said...

Congratulations to Bean, and it's great to know that your young niece has a great support system.

Good to see you back!

February 16, 2007 3:30 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Great Thirteen listing, Girlfriend. Our paper here doesn't carry Ben Stein- who I really like too - but they do carry Leonard Pitts Jr and I really enjoy his writings very much - a voice of good common sense! And, as to your niece -God bless there, as she's gonna need all the help and moral support your family can provide. Being a single parent is one tough road to hoe, for sure but sometimes, it serves to make us all stronger in the end.

February 16, 2007 3:36 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Lizza-working a new schedule has wreaked havoc on my blogging schedule. What's a girl to do?

Jeni-thanks for the encouragement. I know that thousands of women have had to do it so I'm sure she'll be fine.

February 16, 2007 3:20 PM  
Blogger MartiniCocoa said...

I read Ben Stein and watch his tv commentaries on CBS Sunday Morning, too. He's a calming voice amidst the op ed insanity.

Tim Hardaway will be in rehab with Isiah Washington within the week.

I'm not surprised by the JetBlue debacle. There is a sad state of affairs in corporate America where no one could say this is not the way to treat our customers.

February 16, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

#9 exxon mobile - i would like to ask you why a publicly owned company should try to change their successful marketing plan to save others money? if you think about it, it may be a nice thing to do, but not a good corporate plan in my opinion. it's like hillary clinton said last week, she wants to take their profits and do something else with the money. huh? it's NOT hers to take. there are stockholders for exxon to answer to and believe me they have their own best interest at heart. the money does not belong to the government. it belongs to people that own stock in exxon. always follow the money, the answer will be there....

smiles, bee

February 20, 2007 4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home