A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Great Role Models

The following pictures on this post are of me and my Aunt Mary.  

Aunt Mary was an awesome aunt. The person you confided in, sought advice from and sometimes borrowed money from. She was a lot of things to a lot of people, being a single mother throughout most of her adult life.

Aunt Mary loved traveling and would most times travel from ID to AR alone, much to the unhappiness of her sisters and family for safety's sake. But Aunt Mary was fierce, so brave!  To me, she wasn't afraid of anyTHING or anyONE.  She was just one of those daredevils who saw challenges as things to conquer or try to conquer.

Aunt Mary loved to garden, loved to fish, loved to travel and loved her family. 



In her backyard in Wilder, ID Aunt Mary would grow anything she could, often cooking meals consisting of foods grown in her backyard.  For the Fourth of July picnics she routinely harbored the goats that were subsequently served as the main courses of the barbecue.  A funny story: while transporting a pig that was going to be barbecued for an event, the pig jumped from the back of the truck. Aunt Mary chased it down and slit its throat while a few of my nieces watched the horrific scene. But Aunt Mary was not going to let the main course escape so she did what she had to do. This story is still a much told tale when reminiscing about growing up and some of our experiences.





When I received the news last year that Aunt Mary had died, I cried so hard and so long that I injured veins in my forehead. I went to urgent care because I thought something serious had happened. The on call nurse told me that had I been of lighter skin, I would see bruises from the breaks. For a few days after the news my forehead and face were so tender I had to sleep on my back and could barely use a face cloth to clean my face.
  

To the end of her life, Aunt Mary took care of her family and the church as best as she could, often driving from Pasco, WA to Boise, ID to visit family and attend church anniversaries. The repast held after the family was catered and paid by her, the last service of the Hospitality President. This Thursday, and every day, I'm thankful to God that He gave me (and the rest of my family) Mary Katherine because she was so unique and so important to me. I will never stop missing her.





1 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Great way to emphasize Valentine's Day with your "love" theme in your posts. Although my Aunt Mary never killed a pig by slitting its throat, in many other ways, your Aunt Mary reminds me of mine. Maybe too it is because of the love we each had and still have in our hearts for those particular women in our lives, but like you, I too still miss my Aunt Mary very, very much. It will be 7 years this October since she passed and I still get the frequent urges to call her and talk to her. So many things she taught me, helped me with, gave me so much support and it is hard to believe it's already been this many years without her in my life. But it does make me ultra thankful for so many wonderful memories that do bring her to the forefront of my mind frequently. Peace, my friend.

February 16, 2013 4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home