A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, October 29, 2007

Moon Child


Remember that song from American Tail?

"Somewhere out there
Beneath a pale moon light
Someone's thinking of me
And loving me tonight.
Somewhere out there
Someone's saying a prayer
That we'll find one another
In that big out there somewhere"

On Thursday night when I left work the moon was shining high above, full of light, looking down on me. She was beautiful, sitting up there all aglow. Lightning the world and its creatures below.

I've always liked the moonlight. If I believed in the horoscopes I would say it's because I was born in the month of July which makes me a Moon Child, but that's not the reason.

Moonlight, at least the full moonlight makes everything so beautiful and open. No one or no thing can hide when the moon's full. Everything that could be hidden is now in the open. What could be safe from predators is now at risk during full moons.

I've been lucky to see some of the most beautiful sights during a full moon. I remember my father taking us all up to the Grand Canyon and camping out. We kids had run all day fishing, climbing mountains, exploring, collecting pine cones. As darkness fell Daddy took us up to look out over the Canyon. The moon shined out and illuminated the mountains and I thought surely this was what God intended all of the earth to look like! As we made our way back to the campsite I had to use the restroom only the restroom was an outhouse about half a block away. In the dark. Daddy made all of us go together to make sure everyone had emptied everything and I was glad again for the full moon because she allowed us to see the trail, and our campsite.

The other scene seen with a full moon was another camping expedition, again with my family to White Horse Lake. My father liked being an outdoorsman, too bad he was afraid of every little insect, slithering thing and creepy crawly:-) Anyway, Daddy took us up there and rented a cabin right on the water. I remember sitting on the porch of the cabin eating watermelon and drinking Grape pop. With the help of the moon, we could see for miles and miles. Daddy tried to scare us with ghost stories but he was a lousy storyteller so we were never that scared. Thank God the cabin had indoor plumbing.

Phoenix is very flat with a smattering of hills right in the middle of the city. The hills divide the city but if you get to a high enough elevation you can look out over the whole city. We used to do this on full moon nights. We'd drive up to South Mountain lookout point and just marvel in the place we call home.

So, back to the song. It's a good thing to know that the full moon I'm watching tonight is the same moon that's shining brightly in Vegas, Atlanta, Mexico, Japan, Canada, Pennsylvania, Florida, Italy, Virginia, Boise, India, the Philipines, New York, Boston, San Diego and Los Angeles.
I'm thinking of you.

14 Comments:

Blogger Spoon of life said...

This is beautiful...I'm gonna look out at that moon right now and think of you!!!

October 29, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Aw, Debo - you old sentimental softie! That was really a beautiful post. The only thing I DON'T like about moonlight is that the full moon tends to bring out the wackos! I know this first hand from years of waitressing on the midnight shift at a truckstop restaurant and the drunks would go out, drink themselves silly and then come to the restaurant to eat breakfast, drink coffee and sober up. But if there was anyone who had, shall we say "issues" of a mental health type, the full moon often did bring out the worst in people already to well fueled with alcohol. Trust me when I tell you this, cause it is true!

Oh - Mandy did get a migraine but thankfully, not a full-blown one! And tonight, we had a sick little girl on our hands here! The cough Maya has had from the bad cold/sinus infection she had last month still hanging in there but now it is more the kind that grabs her and chokes her from the drainage down her throat and she doesn't understand about bringing that up, coughing it out. Well, some cough meds she took tonight apparently knocked a good bit of the stuff loose but made her sick to her stomach so the poor kid was throwing up all over herself, the floor, sofa - big mess ya know! But once it all settled down, she was fine and I think that was really what she needed was something to force the stuff loose in her throat. Just so hard when little kids get sick like that and don't comprehend what's happening to them. I wanted to post some pics tonight on my blog -just so you could see my little Princess but darned blogger isn't working right with posting pics tonight.

October 29, 2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

i too, love and appreciate a full moon. there is something so serene and captivating about it. we experienced the same full moon on Saturday and I gave pause to appreciate its beauty and slendor. the moon shines directly into my bedroom window and i leave the blinds open so I can bask in its glow.

October 30, 2007 4:57 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Is the Harvest Moon a full moon?

I've always been partial to sunrises.

Loved the post.

October 31, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger Black Doll said...

I wish I knew you when I lived in Phoniex last year. I left because I could not connect with any black people ( or anyone else for that matter). Now that I think about it, I rarely even seen black people. But you are so right about the moon. It's that way in CA too!

October 31, 2007 2:25 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

i can't remember what night it was but I remember one night this past week where the moon looked amazing and inspired me to write a poem.

Sadly, I won't be sharing it here.

But how crazy is that? Must be the family resemblence that had us both checking out the moon.

Thinking of me? Really?

Awwww.....

November 03, 2007 9:30 PM  
Blogger H said...

I love the moon.
I adore the moon.
I admire the moon.

what a beautiful post dear Debo. Made perfect by the soft mellow glow of the moon.

:-)

November 07, 2007 6:09 AM  
Blogger CaRo said...

Hi
How are you?
Y love the moon too. I loved be sitting only to see the show of the moon.
I love American Tale movie and the song too!

bye bye

CaRo

November 08, 2007 9:11 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hope all is well.

November 13, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

yup. the very same moon. it was lovely in italy. it really was. and in the middle of the atlantic ocean with no land for miles and miles it was lovely too...

smiles, bee

November 13, 2007 5:50 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Thanks for the comments tonight Debo! Boy, I was really beginning to get very worried about you since you hadn't been around to visit or post for quite a while. And, I can tell by the dates on the above comments that Dave was apparently worried about you too. Don't do that too me! I'm old -ok, not exactly what you would call "frail" though (except mentally) but when you don't post for long periods of time or even visit, it does bring out the "mother hen" in me and yes, I do worry about you. Just glad to hear from you again.

November 13, 2007 10:42 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

hey, you okay out there in the Cactus state?

November 14, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Debo - just to let you know -in case you haven't checked my blog yet, I got word today that Bob Johnson (Letters I Wish I'd Sent) died yesterday -Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - massive heart attack. Thought you'd want to know as I know you were a regular reader of his stuff too. Matter of fact -I think it may have been through both of us reading Bob's Blog that we met too. Ah ha moment there!

November 15, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Uh, Debo! Another week has passed and no POST from you! What's happening? Where are you? Time to relax and write something the way only you can do -beautiful, remembering, honoring, loving -and also, to remind you to please have a wonderful Thanksgiving with plenty of food, friends, football, fun and many, many other things for which we are all thankful today!

November 22, 2007 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home