A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

That Which Was Lost


I'm celebrating two things this week.

First, that I'll be able to babysit my little niece Butterfly (that's her in my Flickr badge) for the first time in two months. Now that her big brother Mooka has returned to school they're on a new schedule that sadly doesn't coincide w/my working schedule. I took a few days off from work and her mom agreed that I could keep her for those few days.

The second and possibly the greatest is that my niece Nicole contacted us on Monday, ending an eight year estrangement. Eight years! The last time we had spoken to or seen she and her siblings was at my father's (her grandfather's) funeral. Because of her mother, and as can happen upon the death of the family patriarch, the familial ties, already in a weakened state, finally yields and dissolves. So it was and still is with her mother, my half-sister.

Growing up, my half-sister and I were NEVER close. As adults we didn't see much of each other and most of the meetings were very civil, stranger-politeness events. Her children and I though, adored each other and loved each other.

The only tie that kept us together was our father and when he died, she never called, wouldn't return our calls and we accepted it. We did miss the children though and now here she is calling us! We're already making plans to go see her and her family in Atlanta.

Unfortunately she's also estranged from her mother and siblings who remain in Oklahoma. She said she and her husband were talking about family and a funny story involving us came up and a pain of loneliness hit her and wouldn't let go so she looked us up, called the number and here we are. We've spoken to each other for three days straight. She knows about my Flickr badge and she's emailed pictures of her six year old son and year-old daughter.

So I'm officially smiling because that relationship which was lost is now found. I refuse to allow another eight years separate me from my family. Life's too short.
Lucky for me, I found this great badge over at Jeni's who's awarded more Blogger awards than anyone I know. No other picture is more right for this post. Thank you, Jeni.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Deb, honey, this post really made me smile! I think it is just wonderful when families that have endured an estrangement of any type are able to reunite again. And for you and the niece, it is especially heart-warming.
Now, as to the badges, I think Skittles probably holds the record there! LOL She's got and given out oodles of 'em. But you know, for you, your blog that almost always makes me feel good, brings many smiles - sometimes makes me laugh out loud too almost like old Meloncutter can do, who better then to give an award for making people smile, making them feel better about themselves and the world around, than you, my friend! Wear it with pride cause you do make people smile.

September 12, 2007 8:58 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

It's good to see there are people that can put down their pride for a second, make amendments, and be happy afterwards. You said it best with "life's too short".

I have a badge too... a sharkdog badge. I mostly just brought that up to make you jealous. Did it work?

September 12, 2007 10:29 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Nothing like reuniting with gone but not forgotten family. Good for you, and good for Nicole.

Guess who else lives in Atlanta?

Go 'head, take a guess?

I bet you don't know.....

September 13, 2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

what a perfectly lovely story honey!!! thanks for sharing it with us.

smiles, bee

September 13, 2007 9:25 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Jeni-Don't know about Skittles, but you and the Empress sure get a bunch of badges. And you all deserve each and every one.

Ryan-yeah, I'm pretty jealous about that sharkdog badge.

Dragon-I'm guessing...you? I knew that chum. Maybe we'll see each other whenever I get there

Empress-thanks for stopping by. Aren't you supposed to be resting?

September 13, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, when y'all get to atlanta, let me know and we will have lunch.

Someplace nice. Like waffle house or something.

Anyway I will look forward to meeting you when you come out this way.

Later Y'all.

September 15, 2007 2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home