A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I'm Never Gonna Stop the Rain By Complaining


It rained today! Not the normal rainfall that is an Arizona monsoon. No, this was a great torrential downfall complete w/howling winds, thunder and terrible lightning.

At the height of the storm I just had to leave my desk and go stand outside to enjoy it. I love the rain. I love to feel the spray against my skin, I love to smell the wet earth, I love to see the impacts as each drop hits pavement and spreads outward.

I love to see the clouds, that at a distance resemble paintings of Grecian gods, slowly approach, sending winds to warn of its coming. I love to watch animals, especially fowls of the earth (the only creatures smart enough to heed the warning enclosed in the winds) stake out a safe place to ride out the storm.

When I was a child, my mother and aunts always made us children stop all activity and behold the greatness of God. During a rainstorm we couldn't watch television, take baths or use the telephone. We were told that God was moving so all beings should stop, reverence His actions and be still. We were taught that God would speak through thunder and if He were speaking but we were watching tv or being too loud, we'd miss His message.

Today, I went outside in the midst of the storm to behold the beauty and power of God. While others were rushing in from the rain or cursing that they had to walk to their cars during the downpour, I turned my face upwards and thanked God for the storm. I tried to hear His voice in the thunder. I closed my eyes and waited, listening for Him but couldn't hear anything.

Finally, when the rain began to diminish and the clouds began to clear I thought to myself, no matter how bad the storm, it will always pass. Now where have I heard that before?

17 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

This probably isn't too hard for you to visualize, but I was one of the people cursing loudly as I made my way to my pickup this morning.

Storms never last... I think there's a song about that?

July 24, 2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger Spoon of life said...

Beautiful post...maybe Sebastian was saying goodbye...

July 24, 2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i love this post! thanks honey...

smiles, bee

July 24, 2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Oh Maria, you made me cry. That was so sweet.

Bee, thanks for coming. I really appreciate your visits and comments.

Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm coming over right now!!

July 24, 2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

great and refreshing post.

there is so much symbolism in rain and the fact that you are able to enjoy and appreciate it speaks well to your ability to be attuned.

you listend for God's voice in the thunder; how deep is that? You may think you didn't hear it, but His voice resonated within you and the result of His presence will manifest.

July 24, 2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

we were never allowed to do certain things during a storm either. But i think it was so we wouldn't attract the lightning.

;)

But seriously, I've never had a problem walking in the rain or getting wet like that. I love storms like that too.

July 24, 2007 11:31 AM  
Blogger BBC said...

Hi hon, first visit to your blog, sort of interesting. But with just one visit I can not make a judgment, it takes time to learn about people.

Hey !!! I aways give the monkeys a hug and wish them a great day. After all, I'm a fucking monkey in evolution also. Just saying. :-)
Hugs.

July 24, 2007 6:35 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Oh, Arizona? Been there, done that, lived in Kingman for a year. I really liked Kingman. But I'm really a Washington man, have lived a lot of my adult life here.

All this beautiful stuff here, and the sound and beaches. And blah, blah, blah.

July 24, 2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I too love to watch the rain, hear the thunder and neary mess myself with the near strike of lightning. But yes, the storm always passes. We just have to weather each storm as it happens.

Good Post.

Later Y'all.

July 25, 2007 3:18 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

All of the above comments Debo - and then some! Very good post! And, as you said - and it's been said many times before - "This too shall pass."

July 25, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

I appreciate this post a lot because I love the rain too (plus the fact that you expressed your thoughts so well). Thunderstorms are so awe-inspiring, and cleansing as well.

I'm so sorry to read about Sebastian. Hugs.

July 26, 2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Some of your best writing. I was going to copy and paste a sentence or two and talk about it; but, there were to many beautiful sentences.

One addition, though I'm not fond of getting soaked, one of the great experiences in life is to be under a roof, preferably metal so there is resonance, with a fireplace that has a metal liner, and listen to the storm roar, watching trees whip and rivers form on the ground. Then, as the storm goes its way, the sounds and sights change. Roar is replaced by drip. The birds you talk of come out of their hiding places at sit on the just previously whiping tree branches. The rivers that were so powerful a few minutes before disappear.

July 26, 2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Wow, I almost fell off my seat after seeing BBC had visited, and made a monkey comment. I'm too humbled.

Then Melon stopped by and a rush of gastric excess quelled. Really.

Jeni-thank you.

Lizza-love the new picture. Thought you were taking a break? Glad it was quick one:-)

Dave-after reading your post, I'm ready to quit my job and become your number one groupie

July 26, 2007 10:09 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Can't have a number one unless there's a number two; so, I guess you have to start a movement. Thanks for the sentiment.

July 27, 2007 5:52 PM  
Blogger H said...

beautiful post.

I love the rain too, and this post just made me miss it and love it a little bit more.

thank you debo.

Next time, I will keep my ears trained for the message. Thank you to your aunts and mum for this very special idea.

July 27, 2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your story about how your family handled thunderstorms! I love them too but too many people are afraid of them.

August 05, 2007 5:11 PM  
Blogger Deb Heller said...

I think Arizona storms are quite special. Not like the little spitters we have around here. Some of the best lightning I've ever seen was in Phoenix in August...

:-)

Glad to find Debo. My friends nicknamed Deboo for reasons that are unknown to me. I think that when they say it it makes them laugh. :-)

Truth be told, it makes me laugh, too!

deboo

April 11, 2008 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home