A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Reflection


Ugh, she grunted. I gotta pee and I'm just getting comfortable. Why does this always happen? The moment I get my sleep going I gotta get up? she groused, angrily tossing back the thin sheet that covered her bulky, heavy frame and trudging down the dark hall to the restroom.

It was still early, at least early to her-7:30. Her sister hadn't gotten up yet as evidenced by the lack of strong toothpaste and Listerine smell that normally accosted her sleepy senses. Flipping on the light she winced at the sharp pain the glare caused.

She glanced at the image in the mirror as she'd done many years before. Nothing new. This morning however, she paused and stared at the image staring back at her.

Her cottony hair, though perilously thin was still dark black. Grey had not affected her as much as it had her sister and brother.

The dark pecan-coloured forehead was still smooth however now a deep ridge, caused by years of squinting and frowning had burrowed a path down the middle, separating the right and left eyebrows.

The almond-shaped eyes with the long, curling lashes were puffy with sleep. The deep brown-black eyes contained therein (one of her best features) continued the thoughtful examination of the reflected image.

Two full lips-check. Wish they were the size of Missy Elliott's or Naomi Campbell's but they'll do because the growing years of smiles could not diminish the two sets of dimples on either cheek.

Two chins-check. They both sloped down to a short squat neck.

Smooth chest area-check. Thank God it wasn't as wrinkly as some of the old broads at work who slathered baby lotion on and cooked themselves like turkeys, just to try and attain the dark, rich coffe-coloured chest area she had.

Two breasts-check. Still fuller than most but man, gravity had grabbed those two puppies because they were not as firm as a few years ago. But they still did the job.

That full stomach...enough she thought! Just use the restroom and go back to bed. Not two minutes later she heard her sister turn the doorknob. I'm glad I thought to lock it she smiled silently, knowing how much she hated being surprised in this position.

"Come out of there!" Her sister whispered grumpily.

"Hold on!" She snapped back.

Giving a quick wash to her hands she opened the door to see her sister grinning. Oh, oh. What's she up to ?

"Happy birthday, Debo" Niece said happily. "Thank you, Wooka." She replied, walking out of the restroom and allowing her sister to pass.

"What are you gonna do today?" Niece asked over her shoulder.

"Going shopping. I'm picking up my new phone, the new 30-gig iPod, some music and I'm going to pick up some cuff links for Jeffery. We're still on for tonight, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it" she said closing the door. "Have fun!"

I am. And I did.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Happy birthday!

I avoid your thoughts by not ever, ever, ever looking in a mirror. Our physicalities are a bit different, but I don't like mine either. Being a guy, I guess it doesn't matter as much. You have such a spirit and mind, does the body have to matter?

Thank God, I've never had to get by on my looks. I've wanted the looks, but it isn't in the cards. You'd think God would let you reshuffle once or twice a life, they do it more often than that in Vegas.

July 13, 2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger CaRo said...

I think... is your birthday! so happy birthday then!!!
I hope you are doing well.

Good luck

July 13, 2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

happy birthday honey!!! beautiful writing btw...

smiles, bee

July 13, 2007 8:03 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday! I'm open to breast donations, if you've a mind to give some of yours. :-)

July 14, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I think I'm like Dave - try to avoid the mirror thing as much as possible. Way too scary a sight at this stage of my life. (Not that years earlier were all that much better but there wasn't quite as much of me then to stare back.

Happy Birthday Debo! And, many, many more!

July 14, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy B-Day. Mine was the 11th. So we're both Cancers (and crabby). All the best.
Sarala.

July 14, 2007 6:36 PM  
Blogger Spoon of life said...

Haaappppy birthdayyy to youuuu
Happpyyy birthdayyy to youuuu
Haaaapppyyy birthdayyy dearrr Debooooo
Haaaaapppppyyyy birthdayyyy to youuuuuu...and many more!!!

LOVE!!!

M.

July 14, 2007 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home