A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, June 08, 2007

Different Strokes for Different Folks


This Paris Hilton thing's gotten so big even I can't ignore it, especially when two of my favourite Bloggers have chosen her as posts and giving it almost the same title! See Dragon's and Dave's articles for reference.

I'm not mad at Paris for being free. I don't spend any of my time wondering about the lives of the rich or very wealthy. I wish I could be rich or very wealthy and live above the law, but that's not my reality. My reality is that I was born to two working-class parents. We didn't get everything we wanted but the house was filled w/love (I know, it's a cliche, but it's true).

Yesterday I had to term the employment of an employee with more than 18 years tenure. I'm feeling very sorry for her because she's in such a bad place. She's living in one of those kitchenettes, her car's broken down, her daughter's a drug addict and she (the employee) keeps allowing all the wrong people in her life. In the four years she's worked for me she's been arrested and jailed, robbed, physically abused and all sorts of other horrible things.

Yesterday I wondered why our lives could be so markedly different. She was born to two middle-class parents, received an education, married and divorced. Somewhere she made choices to have a tumultuous life-always running from the law, running from creditors, being evicted from homes and apartments.

I think I've answered my own question....

I couldn't live that life because I'm too much of a princess and too selfish. I hate being inconvenienced, I hate the idea of "doing without", I don't like to share my toys and I'm not taking care of grown folks.

All the same, I certainly hope she'll be able to make something of her life before it's too late.

12 Comments:

Blogger CaRo said...

realy, I don't want to give my opinion about Paris Hilton. She don't desearve that us talk about her, is a weast of time.
I like your previous post.
I take my blog's pictures.
thanks to visit the blog.
Good Luck!

CaRo

June 08, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Debo,

I think the point to be made, given your comment comparing yourself to your employee, might be made by comparing Paris to her sister, Nicki, I think it is, or her grandfather, Conrad. Neither blood nor upbring always tells the tale. Though, I think that the way you are raised counts for more that the genes you inherit. Is there a post in that?

June 08, 2007 3:33 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

gosh you are an inspiration honey! you truly are. thanks...

smiles, bee

June 08, 2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Except for her interesting name, I don't think she is worth much notice. Rich people always get out of jail free cards. What is new?
So they don't make an example out of her as they did Martha Stewart.
Your ex-employee is more interesting in truth.

June 09, 2007 2:11 PM  
Blogger Spoon of life said...

I'm sure it was very hard for you to let her go...but sometimes a push like this might help the person...hopefully it's a wake up call...

Love,
M.

June 10, 2007 9:10 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

i think it's almost like an addiction or a disease, except it only affects your behavior and how you treat yourself. Some people have to go to "rehab" to learn how NOT to screw their own lives up.

it's all about the way you were raised, absolutely.

June 11, 2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Debo - Not only did you grow up in a home with love (and plenty of it, with more to spare), but you were also given expectations for yourself as well as from those people who loved and cared for you. You were taught respect -for self, for others and the difference between right and wrong. It's those little "nitty-gritty" things that were part of our upbringing that help us to make at least semi-reasonable decisions, use logic too most of the time.

June 11, 2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

those who have too much rarely have a true appreciation for anything that is outside of notoriety, money, and attention. she's a lost soul that is floundering in life because she had no boundaries and she feels like she's above reproach. a lesson is REAL life (her now being in jail) might in a little bit of a cashed reality check for her.

i'm happy that i was raised with discipline, manners, respect for others/authority, and was taught to earn what i have.

God was always an instrumental part of my upbringing too and I know it carried a lot of weight.

June 12, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

sounds like someone I know and love. People choose their conditions, at least they choose to stay.

June 14, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

you were robbed? would I do that to you? If you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about, then I apologize, you were a victim of my impatience and i didn't think anyone saw it early this morning.

I guess I was wrong. :(
Forgive me?

June 16, 2007 10:02 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

oh.....i thought you knew.

Nevermind :)

June 17, 2007 5:42 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Debo,

Write for me! Please?

June 18, 2007 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home