A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, May 28, 2007

Las Vegas Diary-Day One (cont'd)


Here I am at the Vegas airport. The flight was quiet and short with great views. I de-plane and try to find my way to the front of the airport. I finally figure out that Southwest's passengers have to board a "monorail" type of carriage to get to the main airport. This is fun and new!


An older lady who's as confused as I am boards w/me but she doesn't hold on to the pole so when the train starts, she almost lands in my lap. Funny! We laugh about that and find our way to the ground floor where I meet her son and his wife and child. We part and I call to see where my ride is.

Bean answers and says she & Wilhela are about four minutes away so I walk on out to the passenger pick up area and sit and wait.

Now I'm excited!

Sure enough, after about four minutes I spy the brandy-coloured Kia pulling up and I start screaming, startling the other people waiting for rides. After some quick hugs and kisses we jump back in the Kia and try to all talk at once.

I'm so glad to see my babies. It's been about six months since I've seen them and even though we speak three or four times a week it's not the same, you know? I ask where their sister Shauna is, she's got a new job so she'll join us this evening. "Well Debo, what do you want to do first?" Bean asks. Like she doesn't know the answer. "Find me somebody's restaurant 'cause I have not eaten anything this morning and I've been up since 5:30a.m.

The girls want to take me to the Orleans to try their new buffet line. We get there and there's already a line. It takes us about fifteen minutes to get in but the food is worth the wait. I eat:
-two bowls of menudo
-two catfish fillets
-one beef rib
-a whole mess of boiled peel n eat shrimp
-1/2 slice of cheesecake (don't want folks thinking I'm a pig now do I?)

align="justify">After lunch it's off to the house to rest up and catch up and that's just what we do 'til Shauna gets there and it starts all over again. Bean has class tonight so Shauna, Wilhela and I will find something in the kitchen to snack on 'til she gets out. That meal is at Blueberry Hill. I eat:
-one 1/2 pound sirloin burger (no bread, pickles onions)
-two scrambled eggs
-1/2 side of hashbrowns
-1/2 order of pancakes
We're now full, I'm sleepy and we head home for sleep.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I love buffets! Probably explains why our church "potluck" dinners are one of my favorite "dining" experiences.
One question though - what is "menudo?" That's a new food to my vocabulary.
Sounds like you started off on a good foot in the food dept. though!

May 31, 2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I am soooo hungry now....dang.

And yes, what is Menudo (besides the little spanish boy band from the 80's).

May 31, 2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Menudo is a soup/stew Mexican dish. It's created by boiling Pata (beef foot) 'til the meat is tender-about 2-3 hours. Add in beef tripe (cow stomach) and cook until the tripe begins to tender, another 2-3 hours. Then add in hominy and let simmer slowly for .5-1.5 hours.

We like our meat very tender so we slow cook it a while.

It's served in large bowls and you add lemon or lime, red pepper flakes, cilantro, white or green onions, dried oregano.

It's an acquired taste and I cook it usually in the winter. Yum!

May 31, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

all i can say is that i wanna be where you are *smile*

May 31, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

Foooood. Yum! I am so envious. We also have menudo here, but it isn't quite like the Mexican version. It's an easy dish to prepare.

May 31, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger MartiniCocoa said...

yum, yum, yum

I love a Vegas Buffet.

May 31, 2007 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home