A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Monday, May 28, 2007

Las Vegas Diary-Day One



As you know I went up to Vegas to spend a few days with The Triplets-my sister's three daughters who live there. I thought I'd share my diary of the three days over there just to make my life seem a bit more exciting:-)


Day One-Thursday:

Arrived at the airport two hours early to avoid the morning rush. Although the lines to the security checkpoints are long, everything's moving pretty quickly. I'm traveling w/carry on luggage (my first time) and I'm hoping there will be room in the overhead bins to stow it. I've made sure to pack my cosmetics in small tubes/containers so they won't make me throw any of it away. This stuff costs too much money to lose flying.

I've worn sandals that are easy to unlatch and have no metal and everything goes through w/no hassles. All in all it takes about 40 minutes to get to my gate. I sit and start people watching.

Sometimes, traveling makes me feel so lonely. I don't know why. Even though the terminal is filled with business people furiously punching into their Blackberries, or shouting commands into their cells, it's the people traveling together that catch my attention. I focus on the couples walking along hand in hand to their next gate or the parents trying to reign in their toddlers with one hand while balancing Starbucks in the other. This morning I just feel lonely.

The ground crew is friendly except the guy taking the boarding passes. I'm preboarding because I've bought two seats so as he's assisting a lady in a wheelchair I follow behind. When we board he leans over and asks me if I'm aware of "Southwest's policy that people who can't fit into one seat might have to buy two seats if the flight is full?" I nonchalantly reply "I've bought two seats, you just took them outside, remember?" He's suspiciously apologetic but I sneer at him and sit down and get comfortable. The loneliness is gone, replaced with irritation and little traces of "Please don't make be become a cranky passenger with a name that rhymes with witch this morning. Please don't!"

Soon enough the plane is boarded and we're off. I crank up the iPod and stare out into the big blue Heaven. I breathe in and out several times, willing the tension to ease out and the relaxation begin.

To be continued....

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I just have a hard time picturing you becoming a cranky passenger with a name that rhymes with witch! Not you, Debo! Though, after that little encounter with the guy taking the boarding passes would probably have set my teeth on edge really fast.

May 30, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

there's nothing worse (in my opinion) than a public servant with an attitude or a f'd up personality. Somebody should have told them to try another career.

i'm gonna check on the name of that church and see if those are my Malones. That side of the family is deep deep deep DEEP into the church. My aunt Joyce is a minister (but i don't think her last name is Malone anymore).

that would be crazy.

May 30, 2007 6:26 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i love people watching. you know i have never been lonely because i have never been alone. it terrifies me to even think about it...

smiles, bee

May 30, 2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Sugar said...

I know how that loneliness feels. It comes and goes right!? You should have reported that jerk that works for the airline. What a jerk!? That made me angry just reading it. I hate when people do mean ish like that!

Anyway, move on to the good stuff. This made me a little sad. :) I'm sure you guys had a great time!

May 30, 2007 12:33 PM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Jeni-I have to admit, it takes a lot to get me riled and rude, but it has happened:-)

Kiyo-yo-He was just doing his job (in his small little mind). He just needed me to give him that 'you wanna start something?' look.

Empress-being alone sure makes you appreciate your family and friends more. Thank God it doesn't suffocate me.

Sugar-it comes and it goes. I thought about making a stink right then and there but figured it wasn't a battle I wanted to fight.

May 30, 2007 7:43 PM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

i love airports and i love to travel. i can travel alone and it not bother me. i always travel with a book and a journal so i have ample distractions. i need plenty of snacks for the flight too as altitude makes me very hungry. i do feel you on being a witch though cause there's not much worse than drama on an early flight.

May 31, 2007 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home