A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Want To Be A Superhero


I want to be a Superhero. But not just any Superhero.

I don't want to have to squeeze into a tight corset or skin tight leotard. Trust me, you don't want to see all of me squeezed into a Wonder Woman outfit. I don't want to see me in one of those outfits.

I don't want the ability to fly, but I sure would love to be able to move people and objects with just the power of my mind. Imagine being on the freeway and some idiot's crawling in the fast lane. If I had this power, I could safely move him or her into another lane without having to slow down or change lanes.

I don't want x-ray vision but I'd sure like the power of reading other people's minds. I'd know what all my employees are thinking when I'm giving them coaching. I'd know what my peers are thinking when I'm bugging them or holding them accountable. I'd know what my boss is thinking when I'm asking his help in developing me. I'd know what big Andre Talley of Vogue was thinking when he advised Jennifer Hudson to wear that horrible dress to the Oscars. I'd know what President Bush is thinking when he continues to get the report of the American death toll in the Middle East.

With the power to read minds, I'd be able to quickly identify someone who, in a crowded store, mall, airport or subway, was planning a terroist act. I'd be able to stop them. By any means necessary.

I don't want to run faster than a speeding bullet but I'd sure like to conquer my own personal Kryptonite-fear. Even at my age, and although I've been obese all of my life, I still keep myself guarded and untrusting. Risk-taking is another type of Krptonite. This and fear are things I've had to fight against all of my adult life or they will overtake me and make me a weak, scared little human. There are many times I've been afraid to apply for jobs, make new relationships, open up to people. But, I've just had to grit my teeth, pray, then pray some more for God's strength to help me.

I suppose I do have one Superhero power-I'm able to mask my true identity from others. I suppose we each have masks we wear everyday. I mask my true self from those around me because if people knew my yearnings, my anger, my hurt and my hatred they would be surprised (most of them, I think), disappointed (my girlfriends) and probably feel betrayed.

So, what Superhero could I be? One who's not afraid of living; one who stares adversities and challenges head on; one that can defend the weak and help the poor.

Or....

I can just keep working on me and one day finally become (trumpet blaring) SUPER-DEBO!

What's your Superhero identity?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I guess we all have that "save the world" dream sometimes. But all you have to do is save on small person one time and it is all worth while.

July 10, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Now THAT was a really interesting - and quite challenging - post!
Yes, we all probably have very much the same desires along with many of the same, or similar, conflicts that run within us. And, heaven forbid that anyone else really see, know, try to understand too those conflicts that often abound and make decisions sometimes virtually impossible.
Debo, I think you really have the inner secret already though and I think you know too what it is. You affirm your beliefs frequently here, the tenets of your faith. Using that has put you where you are. Using that will carry you through any major decisions, give you the confidence you need, at the time, to make those decision vital to your well-being. And in doing that, by example, you lead, cutting a clear, wider path for yourself and others to follow.
You're already a super-hero, girl. You just never acknowledge it openly and that's the true beauty of it too. It's assertive when necessary without being really aggressive.

July 10, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Lizza said...

This is a great post! Superheroes are flawed creatures, just like the rest of us. Are you sure you'd want the power to read minds? That can be a curse instead of a blessing. In any case, you're already Super-Debo to me.

July 10, 2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well have you heard of super fly? i'll be super bee! ha ha...

smiles, bee

July 10, 2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

You're a wife and a mother...that's being a Super Hero by my standards.

July 11, 2007 4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home