A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Very Rough Week


*Man kills 32 then himself at Virginia Tech
*Man kills hostage then himself at NASA
*Tainted beef recalled in five States
*Sanjaya is booted from American Idol

It just keeps getting crazier and crazier!

I woke to a perfectly beautiful morning today. It's raining and cloudy, very rare in this desert oasis. The birds are chirping, out there eating the bread we left last night that the neighbourhood cats must deem completely unworthy of their tastes.

I hate to go into work on days like this because this type of weather soothes me, brings out my creativity. Today I would have felt that same creativity but I made the mistake of making my first stop on the Cyberspace Express MSNBC.com with all its reports of everything dismal, depressing and horrible. And of course I had to read it, I'm an info-junkie. My not reading the news is as difficult as my declining an offer of fried chicken and red Kool-aid. As a matter of fact-and my hips can attest to this-I don't ever remember ever declining an offer for chicken.

Well, maybe when I was three or four, but that's the only time.

My 32-year old brother had a rough week. Earlier this year he and his wife divorced and she received custody of the children. They put their house on the market but is still waiting for it to be sold. They were the proud recipients of one of those sub-prime loans that amass great interest and cause rising mortgage payments so even though they're not living in the home, they are still under its burgeoning debt.

Then, my brother lost his construction job.

Three weeks after that he was admitted to hospital for chest pains. They had to give his heart shock treatments and catherize a bleeding vessel. We have a family history of heart problems but are still surprised that it's hit him so quickly. This week he went to a follow-up and the doctors didn't give him good news. They don't want him to work construction due to the heavy lifting and stuff, he hasn't found a job in two months, he has no benefits to pay for this newly-required healthcare, make car payments, feed his children or pay rent.

He's moved in w/us. On our couch.

This means my morning routine of heating the tea kettle and reading my papers while sipping said tea is temporarily interrupted because he's a late riser and is always asleep when I get up. So I'll have to figure something else out. Besides, it's getting warmer now anyways so I won't need the tea as much.

Well, I have a few more sites to visit this morning. We're at the end of a rough week, let's hope next Monday morning brings brighter days.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

aww man, it sounds like your brother has had a rough go the last few days. But I have a feeling that your family has that kind of faith that helps people get through those rough times, standing tall on their own two feet.

Good luck to big bruh.

April 21, 2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rough indeed. I hope your brother finds something.

April 21, 2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Boy, talk about getting pushed down again and again, your brother's really been through the wringer. If he has to do a complete career change, has he tried going through the Office of Rehabilitation? I don't know what it would be called in your area - heck, right now, I can't even remember what it's called here, but to my knowledge, every state has one with local facilities set up. You only need a documented medical problem to get counseling and assistance in training programs or for education costs -really a very good program and he should look into it if he hasn't already done so.

April 22, 2007 8:43 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

It's by God's grace; all things through Christ Jesus that you all shall be blessed and removed from the trials you face. I know you're a God fearing woman and come from good Christian values. Rely on them and know that this too shall pass because the battle is already won. I will pray for you and your family.

April 24, 2007 4:16 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh honey i could just cry for you... seems like something is always jumping up on your plate, and you just keep taking on more and more. sigh... but family is family and you do what you have to do i guess. this week our son got a job selling cars. that is the addict son. well, the only son too. anyway he has two degrees, business and culinary arts, but that pesky crack gets in the way of life sometimes i guess, anyway, all that education got kind of washed up and now he is back to living in a halfway house, but at least he is clean and sober, and started the new job today. anyway i told you all this because maybe your brother could sell cars??? who knows, if chuck can do it maybe anyone can. good luck honey, sending cyber hugs your way...

smiles, bee

April 26, 2007 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home