A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, April 06, 2007

The Joy of Having a Toddler Around



My niece has been staying with us a few days and it's been a joy. Most of the time. She turned the big 1 last week and having her here as well as watching her increasing development is sweet, amazing and so awesome!

She's learning to walk, making 7 to 10 steps at a time before hitting the ground. I sorta wish she had the Pampers they had 30 years ago. You know the ones, they were so thick and fluffy they were almost bulletproof! Now she has these slim things that are mysteriously absorbent and leak proof.

One day last week as I was rushing trying to get ready for work she awoke and started fussing. I took her up and held her for about thirty minutes, rocking her back to sleep. And guess what? For those thirty minutes I didn't worry about interview questions, what topics to bring up in the meetings, how to keep my presentations short, memorable and intelligent. Instead, I concentrated on her long eyelashes, her stubbornness, how she laughs at all my jokes (smart girl), and thinks I'm one of the most interesting persons she knows. By the time I was on my way to work I had a whole new relaxed attitude.

She's also discovered television. While her older brother is watching PBS she watches, but only the commercials. She already knows the non-added value of t.v. I don't know about her music tastes. Because all of us are music lovers, she's being exposed to lots of different music. Her dad's a hip-hop follower, her grandmother and I are gospel and worship fans, her aunt's a jazz officionado. She'll probably become a rock-head or worse, a Country & Western fan.

She has the ability to make complete strangers smile, and can be used to flirt w/men. Gotta keep her around.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

i used to use my niece to flirt with women too. Works like a charm. But i had to cut that out so i wouldn't get "cut out".

April 07, 2007 5:18 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Debo - That was such a great tribute to your little niece! I can relate totally to what you're saying there too about the powers little ones hold over us.
When my first grandchild was born, I spent almost the entire first morning of his life in the room with him, his parents and lots of his Dad's family, who kept pouring into the room for a glimpse of little Alex. I found it just fascinating to sit and just stare at him - what a little miracle.
Now - two grandchildren added to the rolls -and I find I am still just as taken in by each of them. The oldest will be 10 come August, the youngest, will be a year next Friday (both grandsons) and my granddaughter - the "princess" will be four in October and yes, they are the light of my life, for sure.
So keep using her as stress relief -it has to be their sweetness and innocence that brings that for us. And, finally - the Country Western music isn't all that bad. The Princess here loves the Country Music channel - much to her father's chagrin who is much more into heavy metal junk.

April 07, 2007 6:21 AM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Precious!

April 08, 2007 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home