A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Friday, April 27, 2007

I'm Just Rambling Here


The end of a very long week.


My company announced they will no longer pay into our retirement fund. We now have to save/contribute 5% into a savings plan. The money we've already saved in the now defunct retirement plan will remain untouched until we leave the company. We are not allowed to take that money and invest it as we see fit. The company will now match our savings contributions at 5%-up from 3%. This means that if we're not saving at least 5% per check, we're losing money. I already save more than 5% in my company-sponsored 401k but now that the retirement's on me, my take home amount will decrease.

Gas is now more than $3.00 per gallon in AZ, my benefits are shrinking and becoming more expensive. My brother has moved in and rapidly depleting excess resources (read: extra money for food, tp, etc). So it's official-where I used to be two paychecks from Welfare, I'm now just one and a half away. Economists always talk about the middle-class being squeezed more and more while the rich get richer. I haven't even made it to the first rung of middle-classdom so if they're feeling squeezed, I'm feeling crushed!

I was over at Bob's last week. He published his manifesto on why we blog. Some blog for entertainment, some blog to highlight their real jobs-being professional writers and still others blog to get paid. I blog because I'm a bit of an exhibitionist, and what's safer than displaying all on Blogger? Besides, I know none of you will ever turn me in (unless I am suddenly thrust in to the spotlight. Then you can say you knew me when).

My family knows nothing about this blog, they've never even seen their pictures on this page. I don't want my family knowing anything about this because I don't need the attitudes, accusations of betraying them or the daily snooping of this part of my life. I read blogs for entertainment and to get a glimpse into the lives of some funny, weird, nice, cruel people I'd never have the chance to interact with in my regular life.

Last week I told y'all about my little brother and the pains of life that have betide him. Many of you left wonderful, encouraging comments. Thank you Empress, Dragon, Blu, Sarala & Jeni for the long distance comfort and for reminding me that my faith is built on nothing less than Jesus' Blood and righteousness. I know He can do so much for us that we're unable to comprehend it. And just as He's brought us this far, He'll surely take us even further!

Finally, as you can tell, my posts have become less frequent. I used to wonder how people could only post every other day or once a week. Now that things have become busier for me, I wonder how people can continue posting sometimes twice a day:-) No, I've not lost the zeal for maintaining this blog. I still love visiting your sites and discovering others. I love telling you how crowded I'm feeling, how heartbreaking it is losing loved ones, running for VP of a fake country. I hope to get back at a daily schedule soon but we'll see.

In the meantime, thanks for continuing to come by and check up on me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You bet I will come to check on you. Since I discovered you are into flour and cooking oil, you are the love of my life.

You just hang in there. It's got to get better. Hell it can't get any worse.

And I go back to work on Monday.

Which really sucks.


Later Y'all

April 28, 2007 2:15 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I'm right there with Melon Cutter on being by your side, thick or thin. Debo, you've become like a "sister" to me, reading your posts, through the good, funny times and through the rough spots put in front of you too. I admire your faith greatly and believe that it will keep you and pull you (and your brother) through this recent problem. And the work issues, those too will eventually iron out. Probably not the way you'd like initially, but they will smooth over somewhat at some point in time. Management can be a royal PITA at times with no concept for the employee's issues, just their own bottom line. Hang in there, girlfriend!

April 28, 2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Though I'm happy to see you back posting, rather than just commenting at Bob's, I'm sorry for the subject of the post.

Might a cliche help? This too shall pass.

April 29, 2007 2:40 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

hi honey, sorry to be late, seems to be a pattern forming. sigh... anyway we're here for you any time you know. and i love that you visit me. and guess what? my crack head son, now clean and sober, sold a car! he thinks he can do it every day now! ha ha ha... what a nutcase he is, but family is family and i love him anyway. hope you have a great day honey...

smiles, bee

April 30, 2007 5:34 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

i now know how hard it is to blog daily with so many other things going on, but when time permits and if the thoughts are there, then i blog. i encourage you to do the same. you sound like you need the mental and emotional outlet, so don't let the stress over power you. Recall the hymn My Hope is Built and use it as your mantra; it's kept me through some of the hardest times in my life. you know you're surrounded by real and virtual family and we're here for you.

stay up lady and know that the road might be rocky, but you can do it.

May 01, 2007 4:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are welcome. Corporate America stinks, doesn't it? It is hard to see one's retirement diminish but keep on saving! And keep your spirits up.
I'll keep on reading.

May 01, 2007 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home