A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Saturday, March 03, 2007

To Thine Ownself Be True



Okay, I'm in a dilemma. Well, it's really not a dilemma in the true sense of the word. I mean it's not a life and death type of situation. It's more about loyalties. Particularly my political loyalties.

I believe in the judicial process. As a matter of fact, my father drilled it in us kids to go out and vote every time the polls opened. My father was a voting zealot due in large part to the fact that he was given his first chance to vote at age 42. He wanted to make sure none of his children took for granted the precious rights we have in this country.

I'm struggling, for the first time of which candidate I'm going to vote for.

Should I vote for Barack Obama because he's Black and I'm supposed to support the Black candidate? Should I vote for Hillary because she's female? I don't know!

Senator John McCain has always excited me politically and I've actually worked on his previous campaigns so I guess you can say we have 'history'.

If I work for Hillary's campaign my family and some friends will think I'm not supporting the Brother. If I work for Barack's campaign some will feel I'm just following the black herd. If I work on the McCain campaign I'm not only a Clarence Thomas (read: sellout) but I'm confused and may have my Sistercard revoked.

Barack has made some good points but he's so new and we really don't know how he will perform as a Senator. Hillary's got the experience but some of her actions/votes have really turned me off. Mr. McCain is a Republican, and in my family that's synonymous with slave trader/cheat/Strom Thurmond/1950's America.

In true Debo Blue fashion I'll do whatever feels right to me. I can't please everyone and I can't live my life according to everyone else's rules so I may as well be true to myself.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always vote for the weirdo. The last 4 or 5 elections tho its been a tough choice as to which weirdo to vote for.
Dang.

I guess I am in the same boat.

Crap!!!

Later Y'all

March 03, 2007 2:32 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

"I feel your pain!" Ya know Debo, you and I are in the same pickle here but not 100% for the same reasons I guess. I happen to like all three of the candidates you mentioned that you have under consideration but can't make a complete determination as to which one I would prefer see come out on top either. I like Barack but I'm not black, but what difference does or should that make if he pans out to be a decent person, good candidate, etc.
I happen to like Hilary too but not because I'm female and so is she but rather because I view her as one really bright individual and also hard-working. And Sen. McCain - the only strike I have against him is that in my opinion, he made the unfortunate choice to be a registered republican and to my mind, republican means too conservative along social welfare lines, anti-union (usually) for openers, but usually, I've found a lot of McCain's comments, logic, theories as holding water. I think it's going to be a rough decision-making process ahead for me.

March 03, 2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with your final assessment. I refuse to even consider voting republican (agree with Strom Thurmond view). In terms of Hillary vs. Obama--I'm trying to decide who's more electable--a black man or a white woman? Cynically I think this country would vote for the man no matter what. But equally cynically some people will vote for the white republican no matter what. Thank heaven the candidate isn't a black, muslim, woman. (Or black, Jewish woman for that matter).
I do so wish people in this country would get a life.

March 03, 2007 7:55 AM  
Blogger Debo Blue said...

Melon-I did vote for the weirdo last time. He STILL lost (but won an Oscar).

Jeni-hence my dilemma about supporting a candidate I like but because he has an elephant after his name I feel that I have to answer to my family. I think my family would better support me if I shaved my hair and ran off w/the circus.

Sarala-you ain't said nothing but a word, girlfriend. Translation: I agree!

March 03, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Awww man Big Sis, i just wrote a post about being true to self too (kind of).

As far as politics are concerned, I feel your pain too. In the beginning I was all for Barack and then as his bandwagon grew, then I realized I was jumping on board just because he was a brother. I really didn't know much about him but I'm learning.

Politics are tricky and like you said, the only way i can be comfortable is learning as much as i can about everybody and making the decision that feels right for "me". Whether that's the inexperienced brother or the woman that ran the country previously.....umm, i mean who's husband ran the country previously. ;)

March 04, 2007 7:17 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

you said all you needed say with this..."I can't please everyone and I can't live my life according to everyone else's rules so I may as well be true to myself."

you gotta vote for whomever you think is right for YOU!!!

March 06, 2007 7:22 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

we all get one vote. period. but why the hell ruin it on hillary honey? i'd personally vote for condi rice, but never hillary. i do not believe she is nice, but a true evil within her. why did she stay with bill? one word only. power. do not be fooled. look deep into her eyes, you will see. it's there plain as day. as of this moment there is not one that i would vote for on either side. but there is still time.

smiles, bee

March 08, 2007 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home