A Blue State of Mind

"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Western U.S, United States

I spent 48 years caring about what people thought of me. I'm not spending the rest of my life caring about that anymore!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The More I Try To Slow Down

     I suppose this is a post about why I can't change my life the way I'd like it to change.

     During the last few months I've been running at breakneck speed because of events and work issues. It all started when I decided to host a birthday party celebrating my 50th. I poured EVERYTHING I had into this party, and I mean everything!  I didn't have an event planner to help (well I did, but she was busy too) and I didn't trust people to get things done timely and orderly.

     Ok, let me include this disclaimer: I am not a perfectionist but I've been known to get a bit off kilter when it involves scheduling and planning.  I appreciate timeliness, is that so wrong? I've never been one of those people who can fly by the seats of their pants. I write out, plan out, list out timelines, find the critical paths to every event in my life, so at times I can drive myself and others crazy. That being said, I'm sure I would have had more support in planning the birthday party if I had relaxed, delegated and allowed the help. But I didn't.  Whatever. Don't judge me.

     The other events this year were planning a cruise to the Italian and French Rivieras. The planning and scheduling involved coincided with the birthday party and almost made me want to start drinking. Added to this was my decision to learn to play the piano.  Added to this was an unplanned work schedule change in hours to support new Australian clients. This means I work when my Australian clients work. Australia is 11 hours ahead of us. Their Monday morning is Arizona's Sunday evening. Get where I'm going?  Yep, I now had to work 'til 3am and party plan and cruise plan and take weekly piano lessons all while trying to find some time for sleeping.

     The good news is I survived both events -two of the happiest times of my life- while avoiding a drinking habit.  The piano lessons continue with pleasant results.  Anyway, while I was celebrating my survival, I told myself I was going to slow down and take it easy. No more of the hectic schedules. I'm  thinking to myself "I'm middle-aged now, I'm looking for a rocking chair on a porch overlooking valleys of pine trees and forests. Or at least a porch that looks out at a tree and a green lawn. Whichever view I can get, I'll take it, as long as the lifestyle is slow and easy." Well, that hasn't happened.

     I decided to tutor my niece and nephew on my free Saturdays. Ok, that's not too much. It's only 2 to 3 hours a week. No biggie. Then I decided to learn Italian. That's just 30 minutes a day, four days a week plus homework. It's all online, I can do that in bed early mornings. Then I decided to start a radio program designed to help and to encourage obese persons to leave their big chairs and beds, turn off the telly and start traveling. A weekly show added to everything else.   Just when I think I've got it all planned out, my life goes somewhere completely new. 

     Well, at least it won't be boring and dull while I search for that porch.

In my suite aprés party surrounded by some of the gifts. I received an iPad, iPhone 4S, jewelry, makeup, assorted items, gift cards and cash totaling $1300. I was and am extremely happy and humbled by the outpouring of love  from family and friends.



     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home